Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

This has been a problem for years!

When the floor is sloped, the pattern get's all wonky. Placing a filled region on top is a dumb way of doing it, if the profile change, you have to go update all the filled regions. We prefer to use the live model and not put a band-aid on top. 

ATran_1-1591974197700.png

Autodesk please fix!!

51 Comments
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @W_Whit ,

This was not released in Revit 2023. This is still on our Revit Public Roadmap and currently in development. Feel free to join the Revit Preview Release to test and give feedback as it becomes available in beta.

Thank you!

Kimberly

Intuos5
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrmanRevit doesn't seem to have open beta positions and this has been the case for quite a while from the looks of it. At least, there is no application form for Revit in the link you provided.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @Intuos5 ,

The Revit Preview Release is our continuous beta program and enrollment is always open. Once logged into the Feedback Community, select "Revit Preview" from the available opportunities. If you are having trouble accessing the project, please email revit.preview.access@autodesk.com, or contact me directly. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

-Kimberly

MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

Please release this in a hotfix for 2023! It still boggles my mind how this issue hasn't been resolved in 2023... I've been using revit for around 15 years and get annoyed every time.

I suggest the software development team try producing a document set with ramps, floors with drains, roofs with slopes, or modified hardscape floors outside of the building... you'll be easily convinced how ineffective the program is under these conditions!!! 🙂

JamieMann
Explorer

While you're at it, how about adding hatch pattern visibility to ramps?

admin47
Participant

THIS!

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 10.57.51.png

 PLEASE sort it out. This has been a limitation of Revit for years. 

emiliolopezUXU8N
Community Visitor

emiliolopezUXU8N_0-1660256715484.png

Isn't there still a way to solve this?

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

@pieter4 wouldn't this be best if it was a model pattern solution rather than using drafting patterns so we could sitll manipulate the pattern alignment?

pieter4
Advisor

@Mark_Engwirda  Model patterns are supposed to represent 'real dimensions' of patterns. And the problem is that in the real world, there is no way to properly align the patterns on a faceted surface.  You need to provide for gaps and misaligned here and there.

Of course Revit could 'fake it', but that would mean that the plans no longer match the 3D views, which I think is a huge drawback.

That same problem does not exist for drafting patterns as they differ in each view (and scale) anyway. So there it is at least theoretically possible.

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

Thanks for the clarity @pieter4 

I am looking at trying to combine a couple of ideas:

a faceted floor e.g. wet area floors that show the tiles correctly in all views;
a floor that will also create a recess into the main floor.
The idea is to have a floor setting or type of floor that cuts (not joins) the main floor to provide the setdown at the same time. The idea of having a floor setdown tool has been asked for previously as per @matt.barnett72U83  and @Anonymous  

I would like to get your opinion on the model patterns again as they do appear to work in the examples, please advise if I have not taken something into consideration.

What Revit currently provides as per the images below...

if the faceted floor is above the main floor.
if the faceted floor perimeter is the same as the main floor height. what you are seeing is the tiled floor embedded into the main floor using the join tool.
as above, the faceted floor perimeter is the same as the main floor height with a floor cutout to the main floor. The cutout has been created separately to achieve the desired result.
In this case, the tile pattern uses a model pattern and all of the model lines are aligned and rotated correctly to match up with each other. This shows the pattern correctly both in the plan view and in a 3D view.
as above but using a drafting pattern, which obviously cannot be manipulated into its correct alignment.

Plan View

Sloping Floors Plan.jpg

3D view

Sloping Floors 3D.jpg

@anielson and @sasha.crotty, you may be interested in this.
Should this combined idea be submitted as a further idea to possibly create extra votes?

 Love to know everyone's thoughts

Intuos5
Advisor

Shouldn't it be better to do UV unwrapping for aligning the pattern. No difficult workarounds. What I would propose is to use UV wrapping and to specify how the pattern is supposed to be warped. The reason is that this workflow should also allow for pattern mapping on double curved surfaces.

With bricks, the bricks can't be warped, so the seams between them will have to be adjusted to compensate. With fabrics, the fabrics stretch themselves. With wallpapers, you add another row and/ or cut rows to shape. These sort of things should all be possible.  I think it would be a good start to be able to project a pattern onto a surface from a plane in space (like Rhino's project). For more difficult scenarios, you would need full-fledged UV mapping and projection methods in conjunction with manual editing to make the pattern look right (i.e. compensate for the seams and joints). In that case, you would need a "Edit pattern" feature to go into edit mode of the pattern to make the manual adjustments in a plane, which will then be reprojected to the model surfaces of choice).

It could also add support for texture mapping for renders (which no third-party is able to add currently). This avoids later rework for renders in a renderer of choice. Which includes VR.

Projection to me is part of the basics, that Revit has never gotten any real modelling commands shows in all of the other areas, including this one.

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

@Intuos5 I did a rendering of the tiled floor examples and it's not pretty.

The align texture tool doesn't help either.

Screenshot 2022-09-28 214922.jpg

pieter4
Advisor

@Mark_Engwirda  if you facet your floor, and the faces are not all in the same plane, some faces will typically tilt at a steeper angle than others. That means that viewed from above, the same patterns is going to appear shorter on some faces than on others (if you have a face at 89degrees, the pattern would look much shorter from above then on a face at 0 degrees). This is one of the reasons that not in many cases, it's impossible to make a fully matching pattern on a faceted floor. 

Intuos5
Advisor

But if the texture were to be projected from the top view, it would have looked correct in plan. It wouldn't have been physically correct though.

pieter4
Advisor

Right, that's what I meant with "Of course Revit could 'fake it', but that would mean that the plans no longer match the 3D views, which I think is a huge drawback."

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

@Intuos5  and @pieter4, I would think that it has to be a model pattern if we are modelling.

The main complaint is where the hatch pattern goes completely bonkers e.g. the pattern deforms into an arc as per the original posts.

The second issue is the alignment of the pattern, how does the pattern decide which edge of the model to follow?

You would think that it should follow the alignment of the original pattern as a default so all of the patterns match, even if they do become shorter due to the slope, I believe that it's important that they do.

The third issue with model patterns is not being able to adjust the alignment in a 2d view on a faceted face.

If you need to rotate the pattern you can only rely on the rotate tool which is a little tedious, and not the align tool which would be far more practical. 

The align tool also doesn't work where the pattern appears to be shorter due to the slope unless you go into a 3d view, surely this would be an important benefit if we could do this in 2d views.

3D View

Sloping floors 3d Pattern.jpg

Plan View

Sloping floors plan view.jpg

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2023.1! Thank you for your contribution to improving Revit!

-The Factory

W_Whit
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update @kimberly.fuhrman 

Could Autodesk please provide an explainer on how this works? And, or how we can get it to work?

After an incredibly difficult and painful process to install the 20231.1 update, ultimately had to completely uninstall and reinstall Revit. Then download the update from my online account as the Desktop App failed. 

It appears, at least by default this has not been resolved? Or at least requires some extra steps to activate? 

See screen shot from 2023.1:

will_0-1669253829302.png

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

@W_Whit I couldn't see any change with the 20231.1 update in regards to the hatch patterns issue, thought I might have been missing something?
Sorry to hear you had such much trouble with your update.

emelie_warm
Explorer

Hi!

It looks like this for me as well. I Tried with different patterns, model/drafting and orientation.

I compared with Revit 2022 and it looks the same. @kimberly.fuhrman is there some further information on how you are supposed to work with your floors to make this work?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators