Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTOUR LABEL ORIENTATION & LABEL LINKED MODEL

CONTOUR LABEL ORIENTATION & LABEL LINKED MODEL

Add option to flip contour label orientation to either up hill or down hill. 

Allow contours in linked model to be labelled in host model.

10 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the contours are appearing upside-down (because its downhill) - not a professional look! OCD persons nightmare!

dbroad
Mentor

If this is to be in conformance with a Civil Engineering drafting standard, then why does virtually every GIS system show the contour labels so they read without turning the page upside down?

dennis_collin
Advocate

In Revit Versions 2022 and prior , Contour labels were readable in an ascending slope direction. This is the correct convention in UK mapping conventions and also in many other parts of the world I believe.

In Revit 2023 new functionality was introduced making the contours right reading to the Project North, no matter the slope direction. This whilst useful maybe for some is not the correct convention for site or survey drawings and there should be an option to toggle between the right reading function and the original (correct) function.

Instance or Type property (similar to TAG labels) or maybe the INI file

Refer to attached image for the desired outcome.

I was hoping for improved Site tools in 2023 but we seem to have managed to take a few steps backward with regards to toposurfaces

Tags (4)
wr.marshall
Advisor

doubtful it will happen due to this idea: Contour Label Orientation - Autodesk Community which requested for label to always be project north orientated as you stated

also on the augi wish here

2007 - Keep contour labels right-side up (augi.com)

2005 - Contour Labels - Keep Readable (augi.com)

been a long requested feature!!! This being upside down could be due to CAD systems and so became the norm. Could be mistaken though!!! Maybe be solution is to have a toggle for upside down or right way up to preference!!!!

richard.cBWUYX
Community Visitor

Also Transparent Contour label as well as flipable would be handy too.

dennis_collin
Advocate

The contour reading convention has been around since paper drawings, and predates CAD. 

In Civil 3D there are several ways to address the right reading problem. I just think Revit deserves a similar treatment (option in instance Prop or INI or similar). It is my impression that many of the Revit feature requests are biased towards conventional Architecture. Other disciplines also need to be considered. If anything Topo is more Infrastructure than Architecture and Revit to be successful and a better product needs to cater for all disciplines, including areas like Landscaping and better Topo tools to  Cable Trunking in Revit MEP. A long road of improvements still need to be made, whilst I appreciate things are always more complicated than they might seem making improvement progress slow. It is immensely frustrating to go backwards!

dennis_collin
Advocate

Several months and hotfixes later, but still no bananas! 😛

Mumbles post schedules within railings, legends, undercutting topo.. etc.... Complicated? But label orientation must be an easy fix?

dennis_collin
Advocate

Fantastic!

The defect has been resolved with the 2024 release and the introduction of Toposolids.

Contour bug fixed.PNG

Contours now read 'up the hill' as per every convention I can think of.

This is not documented fix but am happy with the new corrected functionality.

Brilliant , I can now 'sell' Revit as an OK site modelling tool!

wr.marshall
Advisor

@dennis_collin think this is broken again for your prefrence!!!

There should some sort flip switch so that you could both ways as shown below. If there is a flip switch I couldn't find it!!! 

Ref: see my comment above on 05-09-2022

wrmarshall_2-1713004248312.png

(1)always upside  

Screen shot from Revit 2025

wrmarshall_1-1713003569257.png

(2)upside down. (as per @dennis_collin request)

Contour bug fixed.PNG

In addition to the original ask (@Anonymous) cannot label contour in host model

wrmarshall_0-1713005605113.png

wrmarshall_1-1713005679646.png

dennis_collin
Advocate

*Bangs head on desk*, with Revit taking 1 step forward and then 5 steps back!

Thanks  @wr.marshall for the heads up on this returning problem, and yes on the other matter, surely we should be able to tag toposolids in linked models? We can do it with other categories/tasks!

Makes most of the 'improvements' for toposolids in 2025 useless. IMHO. Awaits a for a hotfix with eager anticipation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report