Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column Location Mark reporting "actual" center of column for scheduling

Column Location Mark reporting "actual" center of column for scheduling

Currently if you have any column that's center is not on the grid but is still touching the grid, the Column Location Mark does not show that it is off centered.

In the picture below this column should read E21 (0'-7 3/4")-EE, however since the edge is touching GL E21 it will not show that it's off at all.

jkirkpatrick_0-1669642182133.png

It would be extremely beneficial to reduce human errors in needing to create Dimension plans for the sole purpose of locating columns vs if the Column Location Mark would report the correct location.

With this, the location mark should likely be based off the of the Project Units for tolerances, i.e. 1/8", 1/4", and so on.

4 Comments
s-stanford_bniengineers_com
Community Visitor

Definitely a bust in how the schedule populates...column location needs to be based on column centerline so if a column is offset any distance from the gridline, it populates correctly in the schedule as you mention

lionel.kai
Advisor

I would prefer the tolerance to be set separately from the Project Units - in the schedule AND as a separate field in Project Units. The linear setting should ALWAYS be set to the smallest value possible (1/256", 0.000001mm-ish) so that you see when people aren't modeling to scale, and rounding should only be used in special dimension styles for display (w/ a manual "±") for buildings with non-orthogonal angles, etc.

We usually do manual naming for stuff like this anyway - Revit just doesn't allow enough control over the result programmatically (can't customize).

j-kirkpatrick
Enthusiast

@lionel.kai  I'd love if it had it's own tolerance setting just like we can adjust dimension's tolerance separately. The option to show 1/256 should be an option but for what I'm thinking is scheduling purposes. No contractor is going to set anything within probably 1/4" and even if they do, what happens in the field will likely be to 1/2" accuracy. 

But either way I'd be happy to have that as a setting.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

While at it, offer that functionality to all entities. I see no reason why this is not available in architectural columns, rooms, walls, furniture, generic items or beams.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators