Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow non-shared nested families be overriden

Allow non-shared nested families be overriden

Currently, the 'Shared' property of nested families enables the behaviours below, all together:

1. Cut Plane - Nested family has its own cutting behaviour in views.
  2. View Overrides - Nested family can be overridden using category and view filters, separate from its host.
  3. Schedules - Nested family is treated as a separate family in schedules, and when the model is exported to other formats (eg IFC).

Sometimes we need one or two of these behaviours, but don't want the other. Most commonly, I want to override the graphics for the nested family, or need it to have a separate cut plane, but still want it to be treated as part of the same family when I export the model. Having too many shared nested components makes the model too granular and impossible to produce proper COBie and IFC outputs, however, is sometimes needed to control graphics.

I suggest adding a separate property to families - 'Allow View Overrides' - which enables cutting and view overrides (1 and 2 above), without making the family 'Shared'.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators