Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Path of C4R Local Cache Files

Changing Path of C4R Local Cache Files

Could we please have a option to change file paths of local cache files to another drive other than main SSD drives.

18 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor
lucas.harris
Explorer

Why on earth is this not an option? This needs to be an easily modified option for BIM360 cache files. I have far too much wasted space on my primary drive but all kinds of room on a secondary drive that could be used for this data. Why does Autodesk not allow for simple directory changing?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

mboden206
Participant
@kmfuhrman, This is great to here and is there a timeline of when this option is going to be available? Thanks,
lionel.kai
Advisor
@mboden206 I assume this will be in Revit 2022 - if not FCS, then at least a point release. That said, if they follow past behavior, we probably won't see it in previous versions, which means that it'll be 4-5 years before it has a significant impact. 🙂
mboden206
Participant
exactly, 4-5 years before significant impact is realized. I still have projects that are still working in 2019 and who knows when I'll be working on projects with 2022 Revit
jperkins1MXXNE
Enthusiast

given that many or most of us now work on high end laptops with SSD drives as primary the need for this option is critical. Even a workstation or gaming level laptop like my MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro has only a 512Gb SSD primary that fills up fast when you load up the Design Suite for 2019-2021. I stratified the installs to only include the products from each suite I needed and kept ones like Civil 3D to only one install just to save space and still ran out.

if you have 3-4 projects going, which is our usual workload, there is anywhere from 5-20+Gb of cache files for each project and more for larger ones. so it is easy for over 25-30% of your primary drive to be taken up with cache files. We also use the new BIM 360 platform which has it's own 30Gb cache of project files.

My installs for Autodesk products and supporting products like Dynamo add up to around 25-30Gb; plus windows, office, FARO, etc all take large chunks so I end up with a drive where I constantly fight to keep the low space warning at bay.

On the other hand I have a secondary notebook drive that's 1Tb sitting there with 400Gb+ free. could be easy to just move all those caches files for BIM 360 and the Revit collab cache over to it so my system could breathe easy.

Please put a priority on this feature and try to get it as a hotfix to current products; at least the 2020 version if not 2019.

lionel.kai
Advisor

@jperkins1MXXNEI'd suggest installing your applications on the secondary drive so that you can keep the faster drive for the stuff that needs it most (like the cache).

g.cimino
Contributor
Please put a priority on this feature and try to get it as a hotfix to current products; at least the 2020 version if not 2019.

Quoting, also may we kindly ask @kimberly.fuhrman for any updates on the matter? 

Thanks!

jc-BIMadept
Explorer

following up on the g.cimino's query from last year @kimberly.fuhrman .

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @jc-BIMadept ,

This item has made it to our Revit Public Roadmap. As far as timing, we are unable to give any specifics. The best way to track progress of features in development beside the roadmap would be in the Preview Release (beta). If you are not a part of that, I can give you more information. Hope that helps!

-Kimberly

jc-BIMadept
Explorer

thank you for the update @kimberly.fuhrman ! 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@jc-BIMadept , you are very welcome! Sorry for the delay!

-Kimberly

jperkins1MXXNE
Enthusiast

that is really great news ! We look forward to further updates on a time frame as they are available.

mowen
Community Visitor

Let’s get this done ASAP. It’s an epic fail that you can’t do it already. 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We are pleased to say that this has been implemented in Revit 2024! Thank you for your contribution to improving Revit!

Help | Cloud Model Collaboration Cache Management | Autodesk

-The Factory

g.cimino
Contributor

Hi Kimberly - great news! 

Any chance some SP/Hotfix/Update is going to bring this to previous versions as well?

Thanks, regards.

DTND
Enthusiast
Thank you Kimberly & team.

Excellent work & we look forward to using the new functionality.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report