Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Flexible ducting

Better Flexible ducting

I would like to request better flexible ducting visually, as the current visual choices do not represent how we do at our firm, as we have cad standards that have been used for many years, it would be helpful if the Revit user had an option to insert their own custom flexible duct pattern for the plan and section views, as well as for 3d views.

Currently I have to create my own duct fitting or duct accessory to represent flexible ducting as visually the current flex duct do not represent real world Flex ducting. (see Pictures)

flexduct planview.JPGflexduct section.JPGflexduct section2.JPGflexduct 3d.JPGAluminium-Flexible-Fan-Ducting_0.jpg

Current flexduct.JPG

My flex ducting had to be created in Fusion360 then exported and imported into Revit. (as current modeling in Revit do not allow a sweep with path+guide rail.)

6 Comments
ENERTEK.vbl
Enthusiast

Hello,

I'm wondering why Revit behaves diffently in section view or in plan view for several functionnalities.

Last example to date: you just cannot draw flex ducts or flex pipes in a section view, while you can in plan or 3D (customer support answer: "works as expected").

Whatever the view (plan, 3d or section), it is still the same thing we're trying to model, so why would some things work in certain views and not in others?

Having similar behavior in all views seems obvious for me (and my coworkers).

Guillaume.Chazal
Autodesk Support
randerson
Contributor

Hi everyone.

Not sure if any one knows of this little work around, for showing flexible ducting in plan better / simpler.

our normal flex duct view in plan would either be default pattern as a single line or if you had manually selected your flex ducts and then changed the flex pattern to maybe flex or oval, as most may realise the pattern might show nicely but this is all dependant on the view scale and the size of the duct.

Current flexduct.JPG

I came around this that may help others that are not a huge fan of the current flex duct patterns, but who would still like to use the native Revit flex duct, for example if you had created a duct fitting to resemble a flex duct, and in small project this would be fine, but in larger projects where there maybe allot of systems using flexible ducts to diffusers from main runs these parts end up adding to file size in a large way at the end of the day.

Capture12.JPG

So the solution to some head aches maybe just using the plan views visual graphics, on the model categories tab- Flex Ducts drop down deselect centre line and pattern and OK

Capture13.JPG

now your once not so good looking flex duct pattern will look the same as the flex ducts shown in 3d and section views, note that if your bend is to sharp you will how ever have to select the flex duct and right click and insert a  vertex and then manipulate it till your duct shows up better , or just fix ducting lengths if possible.

hope this will help some in the meanwhile, till there is a better solutions to our problems.

Doug.Nachtrieb
Participant

Revit currently does not have a way to show flex duct the same way in plan that it does in section.   There are a number of options for showing flex duct in plan but none of these options affect the way that flex duct appears in section. 

Being able to show flex duct the same in plan view as in section would add consistency and professionalism to the mechanical drawings.

Thierry.A
Advocate

Hello,

In plan view, uncheck model in Visibilty/Graphic (VV) for Flex Duct. And let the magic happen!

Don't look for any logic for this option (Uncheck model?), or an explanation in the help because there is none!

Bye.

image.png

vincent
Contributor

Also making the flex duct that's already there work in tight spaces would be nice. As you can see in the following screenshot, although the flex duct is connected at both ends, it displays as if it weren't:

vincent_0-1626267438342.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report