Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation Tag Justification

Annotation Tag Justification

Can we please have the ability to justify tags, set the text note width and set the leader style on an instance basis. Currently we have 3 versions of any label within a tag family, one justified left one justified right and the final one center justified these are then controlled  by visibility states that are set by family type so for each tag note type we have a family with 3 types a left, a right and a centre version. It works but it is a PITA, and doesn't allow for diferent instances of text width or leader type.

26 Comments
cindy_wang
Autodesk

Suggested by SSOE:

Architects and engineers expect to see common drafting standards within Revit for text justification for leaders. The standard we use that matches the industry is the leader to be set to Top Left, Bottom Right.

Issue: When tags are used and hold two or more rows of data, the leaders justify to the center of the tag. This should instead match text in Revit (Top Left, Bottom Right).

bosborne
Advocate
bosborne
Advocate

Tag Justification as Instance Parameter - Sometimes I want the tag to be left justified, sometimes I want right justified, sometimes I want middle/top- why must I have separate types/labels to achieve this? Make it instance based - let the actual content (data that is read by the label) be the "Type" - not the stupid formatting that requires me to have multiple redundant labels driven by visibility parameters.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Agreed. To implement this, an "Associate Family Parameter" button would need to be added to the "Vertical Align" & "Horizontal Align" properties of Labels in the Family Editor, so you could specify which Labels would be controlled by which variables.

This would also require the wish to enable restriction of parameter values:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/combo-box-for-parameter-attributes/idi-p/6315262

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/paramete​r-validation-in-families/idi-p/6323968
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/multiple​-choice-parameter-type/idi-p/6415466
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/approved​-ranges-of-data/idi-p/6391317
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/family-t​ype-parameter-must-see/idi-p/6328745

OR would require two new parameter types for Horizontal & Vertical Alignments. Most likely just the latter, unless Revit could treat the alignment as a text value...

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

Anonymous
Not applicable

OPTION TO have ALL CAPS for tags I know other folks have suggested this. . . 🙂 Mahalo or should i say MAHALO? 

vane9XUVY
Explorer

@Anonymous This idea would take care of the all caps problem: All caps / all lower case in text type for tags and text

LyleHardin
Advisor

I'm wanting some better annotation results/features as well.

Moving from AutoCAD, where leaders and text work very well, to Revit is like a step backward. It's very frustrating. I want to start using Revit in our company, but some of the management complains so much about the detail drawings not looking good that they don't see the other benefits of using Revit.

While we're at it, can we make the leader landing (hook, tail, whatever) to have the option of always being the same length? It's difficult to make the drawing look good when we can't make them all the same length.

bowenja
Contributor

Add more control for on-the-fly leader placement and text justification.  It is my preference to have text on the top left when left justified, and the bottom right when right justified.  When I create a multi-parameter tag, the leader will go to the middle and I have to edit the family just to get left/right/center justification.  If the text in tagging would work just like our regular annotative text, that would be great.

Tags (4)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this is a text related idea I think it's useful to point out my idea about text styles.

cheers,

-tomek

J.Wehmer
Collaborator

When tagging elements, there are limited options for the alignment and behavior of the label in the tag. When using 'dumb-text' you get more options namely; where to align the leader.

In the image below you see that we have to do to get out tags to send the from the Top-Left, with Left Justification. There is a URL label parameter floating above the label, just to make the tag move the leader up from the middle of the text. 

Label Issue.png

We need more control of our tagging, where it applies to the leader placement!

Tags (5)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree,and include text sizing justify in tag.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, keynote tags are so freaking broken it hurts. I'm just fighting my way through this mess right now so if I sound annoyed it's because I am. It's such a basic piece of functionality and it's still freaking broken.

-t

JustinStirling26
Enthusiast

Anyone aware of any progress on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, there hasen't been an update since the status was changed to under review in September 2016, it hasn't appeared on any of the published roadmaps either. Under Review is where Revit Ideas go to die regardless of votes.

lionel.kai
Advisor

No @Anonymous , REVIT IDEAS is "where Revit Ideas go to die regardless of votes." LOL

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This issue is not yet on our roadmap.  We no longer use the "Under Review" status for issue as every issue that is not Accepted or Achieved is actually being reviewed - moving this back to Gathering Support.  You can also review our current public roadmap at www.autodesk.com/revitroadmap for updated on what we are planning to work on in the future.  If you would like to see, try out, and provide feedback our in progress development work, you can also sign up for our Revit preview release by sending an email to revit.preview.access@autodesk.com 

Thank you,

The Factory

lionel.kai
Advisor

Beat ya by 9 seconds, @harlan_brumm 😉

Apparently you guys also "review" Archived ideas as well, because in July I had an Archived idea with only 4 votes get accepted...!

harlan_brumm
Autodesk

Things change 🙂 - anything is on the table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a criticism @harlan_brumm. Just frustration that these basic  issues still persist in such a mature product. As for the Revit Preview, I have been an active member since way before it was called the preview, 2006 I think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators