Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha/Numeric auto-increment parameter type (aka sequence lists)

Alpha/Numeric auto-increment parameter type (aka sequence lists)

I often find myself wanting to number things in Revit but in such a way that I get consistent auto-incremented values every time I add a new one of the things I want to number. For example, I'd like to use note blocks but not have to number the notes manually. Instead, every time I place the note symbol it's number parameter is auto generated.

I propose that we have the ability to create sequence lists that could be then used to assign numbers automatically to parameters. This will require a new parameter type: Sequence, whose value would be the list.

For example, let's say that I want to keep track of issues that need to be resolved on our drawings and I want to annotate them using some simple symbol, say a red circle with a number in it. I could go ahead and create a sequence list named IssueSequence. Then I could make the issue_number  parameter of my annotation symbol be of type sequence and its value would be selected form a dropdown box of existing sequences, one of which would be my sequence named IssueSequence. Then every time I place a new issue annotation symbol it would automatically show the next number on the sequence and the notes block associated with these would work as usual but suddenly be  a whole lot more useful.

You might ask why do we need to be able to define multiple sequence lists? It's so that we can use different lists for numbering different items and not have to use only one sequence. For example, I might want my notes to be numbered N1, N2, N3, etc, but I want my issues numbered I-001, I-002, I-003, etc.

Bonus: allow for user defined sequences similar to how revisions are defined now, i.e. numeric, alphanumeric with associated numbering options, including prefix and suffix.

This is a simple and relatively easy to implement feature but I think that it is immensely powerful and would make things much easier on a big projects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report