Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align Wall Material Cut Pattern to Wall Layer Boundaries material surface

Align Wall Material Cut Pattern to Wall Layer Boundaries material surface

Align Wall Material Cut Pattern to Wall Layer Boundaries material surface, not to Wall exterior surface (as today).

Today:

If for a Fill Pattern (hatch), "Orientation in Host Layers" is set to "Align with element", it aligns to the exterior side of the wall, when used as cut pattern for a wall material. This might look good for a wall consisting of only one layer, but as you add more layers to the exterior, they will hide parts of the pattern of the original layer. One might expect the pattern to follow the material boundaries, but this is not the case today. This is then less useful, since one can only control the direction of the hatch, not the starting point.

Proposed future behaviour:

If for a Fill Pattern (hatch), "Orientation in Host Layers" is set to "Align with element", it aligns to the exterior boundary of the wall layer (compound layer / wall material), when used as cut pattern for the wall material assigned to the wall layer. In a wall with several layers, each layer will have hatches perfectly aligned (both direction and origin) with the wall material boundaries.

When would this be useful?

Until Revit allows Fill Patterns of type Model (not just Drafting) to be used as Cut Patterns in materials, this feature would allow more precise hatching of cut walls. It would for example be possible to create an insulation batten hatch that looks good in 1:50 (scale the hatch for each import, to correspond to a given insulation thickness). In 1:100 or 1:200, Cut Patterns could be turned of (wall Detail Level set to “Coarse”). For details of scale 1:5, Detail Items could be used to mask the hatch.

Next step:

Allow View Scale aware Fill Patterns (of type Model, not just Drafting) to be used as Cut Patterns. One Fill Pattern could then be used for all scales, 1:5, 1:50, 1:100. There would be no need to hide or mask the Cut pattern.

5 Comments
erik_sjoblom
Explorer

This is how it should look.JPGBatting-insulation.JPG

Rigid insulation unfortunately offset.JPG

I would like to see the option of creating cut hatch-patterns that one would be able to align with other elements. For example when drawing rigid insulation, that is shown in plan and section, it would be nice to easily be able to create it the same thickness as that layer of the wall, for example 100 mm, and furthermore have it aligned with the wall-layer. This is ilustrated in the narrower walls. The thick wall illustrates how it is usually made in Revit. 

Same problem with batting-insulation, if you don´t draw it manually using drawing-tools. 

Tags (2)
danial
Explorer

PLEASE!!! So well put and would have thought this would be obvious. Thank-you for finally confirming to me that this is not the current case as i have been going insane trying to do (what i think you have done) the same thing to create an automated insulation hatch pattern to wall assembly instead of the labourious manual process of a detail element. Cmon Autodesk! Do you really expect us to create the wall then manually place insulation over thousands of walls in a project.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

@hsRASX8May I ask where you got the single wall layer batten pattern from. Is that from your local dataset or did you make it yourself, because this is what the batten hatching looks like on my endMineral fibre hatch patternMineral fibre hatch pattern.

hsRASX8
Contributor

@MichaelWolff, I made the insulation batten hatch myself, using AutoCAD and Notepad. 

eblackburnEFFVJ
Enthusiast

yes, please. And why can't we apply AI to make detailing of sections more automatic? Bottom of a wall? Add a sill plate (wood studs) or track (metal studs). Have a window? Add a sill and headers. Top of wall? Add a double plate. Batt insulation part of the wall assembly? Then show it in the cut views. The model intelligence is already part of the wall definition. Build a detail item that reads it and updates accordingly. If I establish a rule for where detail items should occur once, then it should be applied consistently wherever I cut that same wall type (or similar).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report