Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When joining 2 roofs of same material together, the line of the roofs does not disappear. Please Help

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
sshamby
821 Views, 16 Replies

When joining 2 roofs of same material together, the line of the roofs does not disappear. Please Help

I have a project where I know the low side of my roof truss, but do not know the high side. The high side will vary quite a bit across the building so to get around having to modify sub elements I created two roofs, one with a slope, and one that is flat. The flat roof sits inside the sloped roof. When I try to join the two roofs together, the lines do not disappear, even though the layers being joined are the same material. I have attached picture for reference. Typically when I join other elements with the same material together the line disappears, but in this instance it does not. I have attached some image for context

Two roofs not joined

RoofJoin1.JPG

Two roofs joined

RoofJoin2.JPG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
barthbradley
in reply to: sshamby

Almost sounds like you are describing a parapet wall the attaches to a sloped base. If so, use the Attach Top/Base Tool and check the "Base" radio button on the Option Bar.  

Message 3 of 17
sshamby
in reply to: barthbradley

No, Im just trying to get the line of the two roofs to go away when I join them. If im pulling a section i want to see the two roofs as if they were one, instead of seeing a line running through the middle of the two. 

Message 4 of 17
barthbradley

Overlap and use Join Geometry. Join Geometry will remove volume and linework at the union.  

Message 5 of 17
sshamby
in reply to: barthbradley

Ok, so thats my problem, I did use join geometry, and those are the results I got, when I change the join order, the layers disappear altogether.

Here is a screencast of the issue

Message 6 of 17
ToanDN

Share your model or at least the model of the two roofs.

Message 7 of 17
sshamby
in reply to: ToanDN

Did you look at the video?

Message 8 of 17
ToanDN

@sshamby wrote:

Did you look at the video?

It's not that hard to understand your question even without the video.  But yes I did watch it.

Message 9 of 17
sshamby

Oh ok, so no idea's then?

Message 10 of 17
ToanDN

@sshamby wrote:

Oh ok, so no idea's then?

Might have one if you can share the model.  Or might not.

Message 11 of 17
sshamby

Oh I gotcha, unfortunately this is a project for work and they wont let me export any revit models 😕

Message 12 of 17
Lachlan-JWP

Uncheck "Common Edges" under the Roof category in the Visibility/Graphic Overrides for the view.

LachlanJWP_0-1669671459438.png

Message 13 of 17
sshamby
in reply to: Lachlan-JWP

Unfortunately that did not work either 😕

RoofJoin3.JPG

Message 14 of 17
Lachlan-JWP

Can you delete all the irrelevant elements from the model and upload it for us to look at?

Message 15 of 17
sshamby
in reply to: Lachlan-JWP

Sure, I was able to create the same condition in a brand new project with a generic architectural template. I created two roofs, both same materials. both same phasing, except one has a 1/4" slope and the other is flat. I used the "join geometry" command to join the roofs together, but a line still shows up in section. 

Message 16 of 17
Lachlan-JWP

So it seems that when the base of one roof is entirely within another when you join them, then it will lose it's cut pattern. I wonder if @ToanDN or @barthbradley  know why that happens?

In the mean time you can use 1 roof with a variable layer and shape edit to achieve the same thing. See attached.

Message 17 of 17
ToanDN

If you cannot use one roof with edited sub-elements then offset the footprint at one end of the sloped roof outboard slightly the flat roof @Lachlan-JWP mentioned.  Below are two roofs joined together.

ToanDN_0-1671149943016.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report