Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your forgotten but useful features in Revit

91 REPLIES 91
Message 1 of 92
Prvoime
14198 Views, 91 Replies

What's your forgotten but useful features in Revit

Do you notice people simply not using some features that you find very useful?

I'll start with "Temporary view properties".

I've watched a ton of tutorials and videos, and people don't seem to use this at all. I find it very helpful to skip a trip to VG. I set a keyboard shortcut for "Enable temporary view properties" which both turns it on and off.

Hit the shortcut, open VG, hide non core layers of walls (for example), do what I need to do, hit the shortcut again, and I saved myself opening VG and hunting down the checkbox that I need to check.

Any you want to share?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Forgotten but useful features]

91 REPLIES 91
Message 61 of 92
MichaelWolff
in reply to: Prvoime

Another favourite forgotten (especially by AD!) feature is that you can preselect which cloud project to get into from the little menu on the left. Unfortunately this was deprecated in Revit 2020 where you now need to select Autodesk Docs, then choose which project you want (R always presents the first one alphabetically) and then go down the rabbit hole. Now every cloud file I open is at least one click further away.

Message 62 of 92
MichaelWolff
in reply to: craigjonnson

While I really like being able to enter formulas wherever I need to quickly calculate something, it is still a drawback that the piece reminds me every other time that I am to introduce a formula by entering an equals symbol first when it had obviously fully understood what was at hand. I would have liked to only half-like this entry. The R3 shortcut was new to me and is even more comfy than RO when you have only one hand on the keys and the other on the mouse. Thx

Message 63 of 92
PDSF

This isn't native to Revit, but I find the COINS Auto Section Box plugin invaluable for quickly creating 3d views of particular areas such as a stair.

Message 64 of 92
PDSF

Love this thread! Create a fake dimension by clicking on the dimension text, select "Replace with text" and then entering the desired dimension followed by a right-click, "insert unicode control character" and select "zero width non joiner" (other special characters might work too). Of course this must be used judiciously.

2023-11-07_170848.JPG

Message 65 of 92
pieter1

Two more small helpful features that are often overlooked:

- 'rightclick in a text field -> symbols' gets you a list of commonly used symbols in construction drawings

- in an uncropped perspective mode: hold your right mouse button down and drag the mouse around. This puts you in fly mode as long as you hold the right mouse button down. Similar to Enscape/Game engine style navigation. Very helpful.

Message 66 of 92
pst.angelo

I would have to say temporary hide/isolate 3D objects in conjunction with the selection box (BX) shortcut/button for the default 3D view. Makes 3D modeling so much easier for me!

Message 67 of 92
jake_hagan3ULFD

It's got to be the "Entire Walls" dimensions with associated options. Saves a lot of selection, especially if there are multiple reference plane options near the edge of opening that need tabbing through. Blown a few peoples mind showing them this tool.

Message 68 of 92
theslacollier

In 2019, I crafted 250 mouse pads for my fellow Revit users in the studios I support, affectionately known as 'Reviteers.' Distributing them brought so much joy because it put essential tools at their fingertips. Even during the pandemic, many took the mouse pads home; to my delight, most still have them!

I still have mine to remind me of the shortcuts I don't use frequently; we all need reminders. 

🙂

theslacollier_0-1702615109668.png

RVT to the max
Message 69 of 92

Good idea. You should have trade-marked it. I think I will.  I'll send you a thank you card when the profits start rolling in. BTW: Does anyone use mouse pads any longer? I haven't in years.  Opticals are the best! 

Message 70 of 92
theslacollier

@barthbradley, Just send me the card that will make my day

😉

btw they love it! 

RVT to the max
Message 71 of 92
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: barthbradley

Haven't used a mouse pad since the time they switched from the actual rolling ball to Laser. Now I have the entire desk as needed and am not limited to the pad. 

The other day I talked to a colleague who still has a mouse pad. He said he has it since it has one of those soft cushions at the front for the wrist (I'm not explaining this well, it is a common feature on mouse pads...). YMMV

I still use cable mouse since I want the reliability over wireless (battery low etc.) and in BIOS etc. you need a wired device. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 72 of 92
Sahay_R
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

@HVAC-Novice - Agreed re the non preference for mouse pads - the super fancy one with the company logo that I was given at work makes my mouse stick - drives me crazy.  

@barthbradley Frankly I prefer the touchpad on my laptop- gives me better control especially when moving between multiple monitors.  

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 73 of 92
nmarcelis
in reply to: syman2000

@syman2000thank you I forgot about this one. 😉

Revit Certified Professional Architecture, Structure and MEP.
Message 74 of 92
mylesXGYYA

The join geometry tool. 

Message 75 of 92
MichaelWolff

The navigation wheel as mentioned by @syman2000 is brilliant when you just sailed past the entity you were trying to zoom in on when dealing with 3rd party provided site dwgs or other references with off coordinates. The rewind button hit with CTRL held down got me back to my viewport's last version with something visible.

Message 76 of 92
Reed_Weinstock

Renaming sub-object styles is great for batch editing families

Message 77 of 92

Can you give a screenshot example please? 🙂

Message 78 of 92
ravwood

Revit 2024 is so cool. I like the Revit Insights feature where a user can understand the usage and ways to improve.

Message 79 of 92

This is also present in 2023 version

Message 80 of 92
Ciara_fittro

I only recently learned about the displace element tool. Would be helpful not only for getting a better, holistic understanding of your building, but for quickly spying into a particular nook or cranny that you are having a hard time creating a view of.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators