Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your forgotten but useful features in Revit

101 REPLIES 101
Message 1 of 102
Prvoime
16845 Views, 101 Replies

What's your forgotten but useful features in Revit

Do you notice people simply not using some features that you find very useful?

I'll start with "Temporary view properties".

I've watched a ton of tutorials and videos, and people don't seem to use this at all. I find it very helpful to skip a trip to VG. I set a keyboard shortcut for "Enable temporary view properties" which both turns it on and off.

Hit the shortcut, open VG, hide non core layers of walls (for example), do what I need to do, hit the shortcut again, and I saved myself opening VG and hunting down the checkbox that I need to check.

Any you want to share?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Forgotten but useful features]

101 REPLIES 101
Message 81 of 102

it is also nice for exploded views for different levels of a building
Message 82 of 102
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: Prvoime

I think the Ramp tool has been dead for years.
No features and capabilities have been added to it, and it has many limitations and bugs, we hope that Autodesk will soon think about this tool.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 83 of 102
Sahay_R
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

Why on earth would we want to use Ramp when Sloped floors are available?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 84 of 102
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: Sahay_R

If you mean this, should I use Floor or Toposolid for the ramp? Yes, I do the same.

But this method has its disadvantages.
For example, when we slope with shape editing or any method, its thickness changes.
In terms of category, it creates problems for the schedule and...
and other things...

Of course, there is a solution for every problem, but it is preferable that these items are enabled by default for ramp.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 85 of 102

I agree not much updates and yes you can use slopes floors but they are under different category

i find this workflow interesting specially when dealing with parking structure that have radial or circular ramps for vehicular access

RVT to the max
Message 86 of 102
RSomppi

Squirrel!

Message 87 of 102
bsilvaTYLLB
in reply to: syman2000

yes and I hope they make it easy to adjust the focal length.  

Message 88 of 102
bsilvaTYLLB
in reply to: syman2000

and with regards to orienting to a specific view, this needs to be easier to find as well as easier to cycle through the views.  Sometimes the model has so many views that finding the one you need is dreadful.  It would be easier if you could select the view and be able to open it in 3D immediately. Kind of like "create 3d view from view" that can work as fast as the "find in project browser" feature. 

the workaround of selecting 3d elements and then clicking "selection box" is not as effective but it is decent enough for now. 

Message 89 of 102
sweetberry1579

Temporary view properties" is indeed a gem in Revit! I appreciate you pointing that out. It's perfect for quickly tweaking views without altering the main view settings. I'd also suggest looking into "Selection Filters" if you haven't yet. They're great for selecting specific elements within a complex model, reducing the need to sift through everything manually.

Do you have other underused features you find useful? Let’s share and learn together!

Message 90 of 102
azad.Nanva

enable spot elevation in model group like the Dimension

Message 91 of 102
azad.Nanva

why the Graphic Override for defijn the Shortcut ,is not available anymore in R2025. that was so usefull.

azadNanva_1-1718352379811.png

azadNanva_0-1718351904036.png

Message 92 of 102
admaecc211151
in reply to: Sahay_R

Well, in my case, I use Ramp for the slope for people walking,

and Floor for other using, like driveways.

The Warnings and auto changing total high of Ramp is helpful in a small and simple slope.

But I want more builtin parameters for Ramp to define it more detail, too.

Message 93 of 102

Setting the Project North by selecting the Project Base Point and changing the angle.

Message 94 of 102
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: azad.Nanva

It's ok. please install Update 2025.2

Untitled.png

Message 95 of 102
azad.Nanva
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

yes I see , it is well comeback.

azadNanva_0-1725262400918.png

دستشون درد نکنه

😁

Message 96 of 102

@handjonathan 

I feel that Depth Cueing is a feature that adds a lot and than remove all as soon as you want to print. Like shadows. They both add so much on the monitor, then when you want to print you discover that the entire work have been transformed into a raster image. And so you are not happy anymore.

Also why there is no Depth Cueing in plan view? It would be essential to have it and yet, it is missing, as far as I know.

Message 97 of 102

@giovanni.bonavia.pela wrote:

@handjonathan 

when you want to print you discover that the entire work have been transformed into a raster image.

Did you try changing raster quality. Prints OK over here.

Message 98 of 102

Of course I have changed raster quality and prints oki. But print raster, not vector. That is the main issue really right?

Message 99 of 102

@giovanni.bonavia.pela wrote:

That is the main issue really right?

No and totally off topic.

Message 100 of 102
Basam.Yousif

Restore Backup.

Rollback a model or extract any of the previous versions. You can even use the tool to rebuild a missing model from its 'backup folder'.

Of course, for this to work, you need to set a few things up correctly from the beginning.

(1) make sure you have plenty of backups, not just a few (sadly '1' is common) when creating the central model. The maximum is 999 and I recommend it for all models. Here is the math: Assume each user syncs 10 times a day, times the number of users, times how many days you wish to have backups. e.g. 10 sync\day * 5 users * 14 days = 700.

(2) Also helpful is to write a comment when sync'ing - this is handy when viewing the model history. I would write a comment at least once a day, or before and after any major changes, e.g. Before\After applying a design option or changing floor-to-floor heights; so you can find and restore it later when needed.

(3) If the model was deleted, the command can 'recreate' it from its backup!

(4) In the cloud, everything is much simpler and backups are unlimited. I would still type a comment once a day.

BasamYousif_0-1728354406177.png

BasamYousif_1-1728354580657.png

2024-10-04 11_35_45-Autodesk Revit 2024.3 - [JPMC 575 Washington Blvd - Scan to BIM Model - Cafe_det.png

BasamYousif_3-1728355388650.png

BasamYousif_2-1728355202757.png

BasamYousif_4-1728356157330.png

BasamYousif_5-1728356726744.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report