Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong with this formula?

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
Sahay_R
3321 Views, 48 Replies

What's wrong with this formula?

Capture.PNGI am trying to create a line based Detail Component family. I would like the array to round down if it is placed to a dimension that isn't perfect - and all I get when I place the formula for Length is the dreaded Inconsistent Units error message. Doesn't ROUNDDOWN work for dimensions?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
barthbradley
in reply to: Sahay_R

Unfortunately Rounddown is Unitless. But, you can use its value in a formula for a Length value. 

Message 3 of 49
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

...maybe 3 more parameters: .

Number Parameter: Formula=Length/1.

Number Parameter2: Formula=Roundown(Number Parameter)

Length Parameter2: Formula=Number Parameter2*1' 

Message 4 of 49
ToanDN

Not answering your question but if it is a Line based family, the built-in Length parameter shouldn't be driven by a formula.
Message 5 of 49
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

Point conceded, @ToanDN. However I do not want it to try to place items at random spaces at the end of the array when the Length is not perfect - hence the Rounddown. Right now I have it without the Length parameter formula and it works fine for smaller distances. It's when I flex the family up to 20'+ that the fun starts. Maybe I should just sit back and accept it as is......

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 6 of 49
Sahay_R

So @barthbradley, if I divided all the length based parameters by 1 the formula would work?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 49
barthbradley

I'm saying the if the "Length" Parameter in my 1st Formula is the unvarnished, true length; the one you want to Rounddown. The 3 additional parameters will find "Length2" which is your "Length" rounded down. 

....I'm responding to:

@Sahay_Rwrote:

So @barthbradley, if I divided all the length based parameters by 1 the formula would work?

..So, in your case, you enter "Length2" in the formula field for "Length". Which means, you actually need a 4th parameter which has the formula you've written for "Length" minus the Rounddown. This 4th parameter becomes the "Length" parameter in my 1st formula.  Confused yet? 

Message 8 of 49
FAIR59

I think the rounding is accomplished in the formula of parameter Array_Number.

you can find the "adjusted"length as follows:

Length2 = (Array_Number-1)* Array_Distance + ( 2* End + W4 )

Message 9 of 49
barthbradley
in reply to: FAIR59

@FAIR59wrote:

I think the rounding is accomplished in the formula of parameter Array_Number.

you can find the "adjusted"length as follows:

Length2 = (Array_Number-1)* Array_Distance + ( 2* End + W4 )

Why minus 1? But, why anything? Number * Length works (e.g. 2 * 2'-0" = 4'-0"). 

Message 10 of 49
FAIR59

@barthbradleywrote:

Why minus 1? But, why anything? Number * Length works (e.g. 2 * 2'-0" = 4'-0"). 

minus 1 to get the number of intervals in the array.

Message 11 of 49
barthbradley

@FAIR59wrote:

minus 1 to get the number of intervals in the array. 

Intervals? Not following you. Minus 1 is only subtracting 1 from the Array number (e.g. 4-1=3).  

Message 12 of 49
ToanDN

I still don't understand what this entire exercise is supposed to accomplish. To report the true overall length of the Array; or to limit the length of the Line driving the Array to a nice round figure? If the former, just add a reporting parameter; if the latter, well, it seems kinda pointless.
Message 13 of 49
barthbradley

@ToanDNwrote:
I still don't understand what this entire exercise is supposed to accomplish. To report the true overall length of the Array; or to limit the length of the Line driving the Array to a nice round figure? If the former, just add a reporting parameter; if the latter, well, it seems kinda pointless.

Actually, I think it's both.

But, then again: it's all about perspective today; isn't it? Smiley Wink

Contradiction.jpg

Message 14 of 49
ToanDN

@barthbradley wrote:

@ToanDNwrote:

Actually, I think it's both.

Then just add the reporting parameter to report the true length of the Array, then after draw the line family in project, look at the value of the reporting parameter and enter it to the Length parameter.  Voila!!!  Nice and round and still pointless.

Message 15 of 49
barthbradley

@ToanDNwrote:

Then just add the reporting parameter to report the true length of the Array, then after draw the line family in project, look at the value of the reporting parameter and enter it to the Length parameter.  Voila!!!  Nice and round and still pointless.

Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson 

Message 16 of 49
ToanDN

@barthbradley wrote:

@ToanDNwrote:

Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson 

"Thou shall not trust everything written on an internet forum.

- Isaac Newton - 1729

Message 17 of 49
Sahay_R

OMG. I stepped away for a little while and look at the resulting pandemonium!

I will take a nicely rounded - and yes, pointless - solution. Let me see if I can plug in the input from this conversation and actually reach a successful result.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 18 of 49
Ilic.Andrej

@Sahay_R  The roundown function creates the "Number" result but it still can be used in a formula of a length parameter.

So, this is your formula:

Length:    rounddown(((Array Number/1)*Array Distance)+(2*End)+W4)

So what you have here is this:

rounddown ( (unitless/feet)*feet + square feet + feet)

This is because in length parameters, Revit assigns units to the numbers you write- so its not just 2, its 2' . Even though the rounddown turns everything into the number at the end, I'm not sure if this operation inside it can be processed. Second, lets say that it can - you still have the Number as a result - not Length.

Try this formula:

rounddown ( this operation needs to have consistent units and then whatever unit was left will be removed) * a value needs to be used to give a new unit to the final result so that Number will be turned into Length

Length:    rounddown((Array Number*Array Distance+2*End/1+W4)/1)*1

rounddown ((unitless*feet + square feet/feet + feet)/feet) * feet

= rounddown ((feet + feet + feet)/feet) * feet

= rounddown (unitless) * feet

= unitless * feet

= feet

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 19 of 49
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

@Ilic.Andrejwrote:

@Sahay_R  The roundown function creates the "Number" result but it still can be used in a formula of a length parameter.

So, this is your formula:

Length:    rounddown(((Array Number/1)*Array Distance)+(2*End)+W4)

So what you have here is this:

rounddown ( (unitless/feet)*feet + square feet + feet)

This is because in length parameters, Revit assigns units to the numbers you write- so its not just 2, its 2' . Even though the rounddown turns everything into the number at the end, I'm not sure if this operation inside it can be processed. Second, lets say that it can - you still have the Number as a result - not Length.

Try this formula:

rounddown ( this operation needs to have consistent units and then whatever unit was left will be removed) * a value needs to be used to give a new unit to the final result so that Number will be turned into Length

Length:    rounddown((Array Number*Array Distance+2*End/1+W4)/1)*1

rounddown ((unitless*feet + square feet/feet + feet)/feet) * feet

= rounddown ((feet + feet + feet)/feet) * feet

= rounddown (unitless) * feet

= unitless * feet

= feet

it was edited- I had to correct smthg.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 20 of 49
ToanDN
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

@Ilic.Andrej

I admire your expertise in understanding formula rules but I think you missed the key point that this is a line based family. The built-in Length parameter is necessary to be left untouched so that you can draw the line properly in the project. If any formula needed to calculate a round distance, it should be assigned to another parameter, such as Length2 as suggested by @FAIR2. And a reporting parameter can accomplish the same, without a single formula.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators