Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Layers to elements like WALLS and FLOORS?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
elemenopitiyuvi
546 Views, 10 Replies

Variable Layers to elements like WALLS and FLOORS?

Is there a way where I can create/customize a family type to have multiple layers, one of which is the main structure and the others are finishes that can be later on be changed without creating another family type or without the other instances to change also?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: elemenopitiyuvi

Not without a lot of work for nesting, visibility, constraining, failing, and giving up.  Why can't you use walls, floors, roofs, ceilings?

Message 3 of 11
elemenopitiyuvi
in reply to: ToanDN

i don't mean to create from generic scratch but to duplicate and edit from existing families

Message 4 of 11
ToanDN

@elemenopitiyuvi wrote:

i don't mean to create from generic scratch but to duplicate and edit from existing families

That is even worse because who know how existing families were created.

Message 5 of 11

What would the family be? That seems like a lot of work AND file size that may not be necessary.

Message 6 of 11

floors mainly

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN

@elemenopitiyuvi wrote:

floors mainly

Select an existing floor type > Edit Type > Duplicate > Give a new name > Edit Structure > add/remove layers

Message 8 of 11

what is this for?

elemenopitiyuvi_0-1655499550285.png

Message 9 of 11

Oh, I think we're reading your post thinking you want to do this to other families, similar to how it works for floors and walls.

This is basic level stuff. A simple YouTube or Google search should give you an answer quickly... Did you try that before posting on here?

Message 10 of 11

@elemenopitiyuvi wrote:

what is this for?

Do you have Full Revit - not LT? If you have full Revit and you're using Modify Sub-Elements to shape edit the Floor, you can keep the bottom of the Floor parallel to ground as the top of the Floor slopes if the Floor layer is variable.   If it isn't checked, then the bottom and top slope the same.  

Variable.png

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

@elemenopitiyuvi wrote:

what is this for?

To keep the bottom of a floor flat when the top has slopes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report