Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Custom Lights With Custom Families

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
766 Views, 9 Replies

Using Custom Lights With Custom Families

Hi Everyone;

I am creating a baluster and it have to illuminate vertically. It s ok and saved it as a x.rfa. Then I open or create a RVT file and I import my x.rfa baluster. I create a railing and select my x.rfa baluster from the edit/baluster placement. At the first look every thing is ok. But when i render they don't work. No illumination. Render settings selected sun and artficial lights. Light settings are very high 200000 lm. It must be technic problem. How can i solve it. Must I check a box vs? It dosen't accept my balusters as a light Source.

In the same scene; when I add the light as a family without baluster, the light and other railing baluster works correctly. When I delete the light, Balusters lights goes again.

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mirko.Jurcevic
in reply to: Anonymous

I am almost sure that it will not work since baluster is nested family in Railings so lighting information cannot be "reached" (Revit does not "see" it).

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Message 3 of 10
barthbradley

Do you really need the balusters to EMIT light? What about giving them a Material that simulates light?  I am talking about a Material with a "Self-Illumination" Appearance Property.  

Screenshot showing "Clear" Glass Asset Appearance Properties with "Self-Illumination": 

ClearAsset.png

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

azer.telik@bilgeadam.comThanks but Unfortunately it must be baluster because of some quotation schedules and parametric disciplines. And I can't use light material self illumination. Because it doesn't illuminate back wall it only looks bright. I can't get ambiance in this way. All tutorials about ceiling light. There is no method to create custom shaped light like plane or sweep

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Mirko.Jurcevic

What about the render that taken with another self alone light? In this way works baluster lights too. What a weak modelling methods. In other families it works by clicking "shared". So I can't make street lights following a way or path. Is it wrong?

Message 6 of 10
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

All tutorials about ceiling light. There is no method to create custom shaped light like plane or sweep

Are you talking about Light Source Shape and Distribution?  

LSD.png

What about using a Manufacturer's IES file?  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Yes but its another matter. have you seen screen shots that I shared and
try to do. In bluster lights doesn't work. But when i placed the light as a
family All balusters work fine.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Yes i tried to add light source shaped and distrubition in my baluster. In fact it is a furniture tv unit. But We are creatin businnes solitions and I have to place this tv units all along the walls. For hundreds of shop. And I have to get total costing by meter suare and quality render. For now we are planning in autocad, modelling in 3ds Max, rendering with vray and calculating in Excell. Think rebuilds vs. Is there a way with Revit in your oppinion?

Message 9 of 10
barthbradley

Yes, I understand that Nesting Light Fixtures/Light Sources into Railing Component Families (e.g. Balusters, Posts) doesn't work.  So, why not use another approach to model your TV/furniture unit components?  Tell us how and why are you using Railing, and we can suggest alternatives.  Maybe even a better overall workflow  -- one that doesn't involve AutoCAD and 3D Max and Vray and Excel.   

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Yes maybe another method can be useful. First of all we are modelling shops about home appliances and there are groups of furnishings. Some of them small home appliances, some of them refrigerators, television, climatic, vacuum cleaners etc. like Media Market. It's easy to get schedule quantities that for middle floor display units. Because count x cost even simple. But I have 2 more difficult product group.

1st. Television Wall : Because customer wants to see it as m² x Cost. For example One modules Width 1000 mm, Height 2000 mm (2m²) and price is 100 € for 1 m². We can place 5 TV units side by side along the wall but I don't know how can I get 2 m² x 5 pieces = 10 m² and 10m² x 100 € = 100 €

2nd. Refrigerators : Its only podium. But customer want see it as mt. For example price is 100€ for 1 meter. How can I get the price as 5mt. X 100€ = 500€ If I use 5 meter podium? And It must be line based model for custom lengths.

Let me tell why stairs. First of all basic modelling as line based. And I can placed all the products TVs, Washing machines as post. More over It gives Railing Height X Length. But render is the problem nested objects lights.

Unfortunately I don't know about formulas and have no idea about dynamo. Do you recommend another way all in one render, plan and sections, costs included by length, by m², by count?

Excuse me for my bad language and thanks for all advices.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators