Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Create In-Place Mass for roof

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
TasnimTarannum
226 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to Create In-Place Mass for roof

I'm following this video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6R2BeucCU&t=163s) to create roof tiles, but I'm encountering an issue. My roof slope differs from the one in the video (see attached picture).

When I create the sketch for the In-Place Mass, it doesn't generate the expected geometry. Instead, it only creates a single line on one side (similar to the right screenshot in the attached image).

What can I do to create the correct In-Place Mass for my roof tiles with the different slope?

2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

It looks like your work plane is not set. You need to set that first before starting the in place mace. In the architecture tab, press the Set button(towards the right side), it has like a grid icon, and use the "pick a plane" option, and pick the face of your roof. I should have mentioned that you should be in a 3d view. After you set that work plane, start an in place mass, and you will make that triangular shape. Because this is in place mass, its different than a typical family, so after you draw those 3 lines you need to select then, or they will be already selected, use the Create form button, and it will ask you for an extrusion amount. Watch the video again, starting at 4:58, you will see he does what I described. Good luck, hope that helps.

Message 3 of 5

sorry to disappoint you , but the screencast indicated by you has a fundamental error....the position of the tiles on the root has to be rotated by 180 degrees so to be correct ,,,,as shown in this screencast , all the rain water penetrates under the roof ...it looks that this roof is built from top to bottom not as in real life from bottom to top(and in order to be accurate the roof tiles have to overlap the rows..)

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

Hi @TasnimTarannum 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   Has the solution suggested by @Javier_Oropeza_TESSERE helped with your issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 5 of 5

Thanks! Actually, the problem was that three lines weren't connected even though I set the work plane as you instructed. I discovered this when I tried the TRIM/EXTEND command, which didn't work because the lines were in different planes. So, I drew the lines manually, and now everything is working well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators