Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiled Roof

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
tmccar
622 Views, 10 Replies

Tiled Roof

I have created a roof using Model-in-place and creating a Mass on the plane of the roof pitch. Then I used "Divide surface" and "Rectangle" with the tile family,  to give me the individual tiles. Is there any way to stagger the alternate rows in a brickwork pattern?

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: tmccar

@tmccar 

Use a half step pattern (See GIF Below)

Half Step.gif

Alternatively, if for some special reason you need to keep the pattern rectangular, model the tile as 2 staggered tiles in the family

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 11
tmccar
in reply to: RDAOU

When I run "divide surface" on the mass, Rectangular seems to be the the only pattern that will accept the tile family. The others are just surface patterns. 

Message 4 of 11
RDAOU

@tmccar 

The Pattern you set in the Tile family... In the Project, all you need to do is select the mass and apply the Pattern based Tile family you loaded... Follow GIF in previous reply

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 11
tmccar

I don't see the gif, sorry
Message 6 of 11
RDAOU

@tmccar 

Open forum in Google Chrome or Edge >>> Click on the image in reply 2 >>> it will play a gif recording which has all the steps you need 

Half Step.gif

RDAOU_0-1640005940729.png

Message 7 of 11
tmccar

I still don't see it

tmccar_0-1640007894774.png

Message 8 of 11
RDAOU

RDAOU_0-1640008329974.png

Nonetheless I am attaching it as a file for you to download

Message 9 of 11
tmccar

Thanks - got it.

Message 10 of 11
tmccar

Would  it possible to cut a rectangular hole in this  roof?

Message 11 of 11
RDAOU

You can by
1. Either edit tze mass and cut it with a circular void form

2. Or use a face based generic model with a void that cuts the host in the family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report