Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbolic Lines Hiding with visibility parameter

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3470 Views, 11 Replies

Symbolic Lines Hiding with visibility parameter

Hi,

I have a Revit family that I have been struggling with trying to keep symbolic lines from hiding. I currently have a ceiling-based generic family of a curtain on a track and i have the curtain tied to an on/off visibility parameter and the track to another on/off parameter. However, when I turn off the curtain in a project, the symbolic lines disappear with it, as if Revit has for some reason grouped them together. I've checked lines inside the family editor to make sure they weren't tied to any parameters, redrawn the lines, changed the line subcategory and rebuilt the entire family to see if anything would work. Nothing has worked so far and I cant seem to figure out why Revit is hiding the symbolic lines along with the curtain in my plan view. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you upload the family file?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Here's the project with the family loaded in and placed on the ceiling. It's a Revit 2017 File.

Message 4 of 12
ToanDN

There are two families. Which one do you need to look at?

And just to be clear, which elements do you want to see in Floor Plan and which to see in RCP?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Both seem to have the same issue, The un named family is a recreation of the other family in the project. I am trying to show both the track and certain in RCP and allow them to be switched off with the yes/no parameters. In Floor Plan view I want to just display the symbolic hidden line that shoes the path of the track and the curtain. I'm trying to get the symbolic lines to always show in Floor Plan but whenever I turn off the visibility for the curtain, the line hides with it and I can't seem to figure out why.
Message 6 of 12
ToanDN

Before digging into fixing it, are you aware that if you use visibility check box to turn off the track or the curtain, they physically do not exist, meaning disappear in all views such as in sections, elevations, 3D views, etc...?

I don't think Visibility checkbox is appropriate for what you are after.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Yea I'm aware of that. What we want is basically the ability to switch the curtain on and off with the check box but always have the dashed line shown in Floor Plan to signify the track overhead. That line should be shown regardless of whether the curtain is switched on or off, yet the checkbox hides it.
Message 8 of 12
semko_dm

Hi!

You need something, that can be cut by plan, when you turn off geometry. In one family you have a vertical model line (invisible subcategory), but if you switch it to visible subcategory, and then look at it in the project, you'll find that the line goes in wrong direction. So, you have to correct the direction and length of that line and everything will be ok.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Dmitriy Semko.

Безымянный.jpg

Dmitriy Semko
BIM-Manager
Blog
Facebook | Telegram | LinkedIn

Message 9 of 12
FGPerraudin
in reply to: semko_dm

I like that answer, A good trick to keep the family "cut" even if there is no visible geometry so that it still shows annotation lines is to use a reference line.

It worked on Revit 2015, and should still work on the newest versions. (haven't had to use the trick on R2017 yet)

Cheers,

François

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Message 10 of 12
FGPerraudin
in reply to: FGPerraudin

Just checked and the trick still works on revit 2017!

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you!

I had been struggling trying to figure out why it would hide everything when I turn off the curtain. I've had it just hide everything and I'd draw a new model line and it would hide the curtain and keep the symbolic lines but also show the track in plan view whenever I'd turn the curtain off. This seems to solve my issue though!

Message 12 of 12
ToanDN

That is quite a finding about the direction of the model line causing the glitch.  My hat off to @semko_dm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report