Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey elevation (relative to sea level) and project elevation

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
chughes
17422 Views, 26 Replies

Survey elevation (relative to sea level) and project elevation

How can I create a toposurface whose elevation points are relative to sea level and not relative to the project elevation?

I have moved my project elevation to where top of slab = elevation above sea level.  I leave my survey elevation at 0'-0" (sea level).  I now want to draw a toposurface based on a survey with elevations relative to sea level.  However, when I draw my toposurface and input my point elevations, the point elevations are relative to the project elevation, not the survey elevation of 0'-0".

For example:

Project elevation = 15'-0"

Survey elevation = 0'-0"

Toposurface point elevation = 14'-0" (I would think this would put my grade 12" below my top of slab)

My toposurface is 14'-0" above my project elevation (top of slab) and 29'-0" above the survey elevation (sea level).

See below for reference.

ScreenShot437.jpgScreenShot438.jpgScreenShot439.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Sahay_R
in reply to: chughes

Is your level Elevation Base set to Project Base Point or Survey Base Point? I would think that the latter would solve the problem.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 27
chughes
in reply to: Sahay_R

Level elevation is set to Project Base Point (top of slab).  I wouldn’t want my project levels to reference Survey Base Point (sea level), only the toposurface (and possibly a few other site conditions).

Message 4 of 27
Sahay_R

Model the Toposurface into its own file, link the architectural model. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 5 of 27
chughes
in reply to: Sahay_R

Ideally, I would want to avoid creating and linking a new project.  Is having the toposurface reference the survey elevation information and not the project elevation information within a single model not possible?

Message 6 of 27
barthbradley

Just draw your toposurface and move it down 15 feet.  Spot Elevations can be relative to PBB or SP.  

Message 7 of 27
ToanDN

You can gave different Spot Elevation types.

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 27
chughes
in reply to: barthbradley

I understand that spot elevations can relative.  I also know that I can draw it and move it vertically.  If I want to come later and manipulate the grade (add driveways, walkways, landscape features) I cannot work in native elevations if I move it vertically.  It sounds like the answer is 'No, you cannot have the toposurface reference survey elevations.' and future grade changes will be from the project base point.

Message 9 of 27
chughes

The below example exhibits the difference.  The preference is the defined elevation of the point on the toposurface is the same elevation as the contour line elevation.

ScreenShot442.jpg

Message 10 of 27
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

If I want to come later and manipulate the grade (add driveways, walkways, landscape features) I cannot work in native elevations if I move it vertically.  

Not following you on this statement: "cannot work in native elevations".  What is the "native" elevation?  But, if you want a different workflow that achieves basically the same thing: move all your toposurface points down while in sketch mode and then hit finish. 

Message 11 of 27
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

The below example exhibits the difference.  The preference is the defined elevation of the point on the toposurface is the same elevation as the contour line elevation.

ScreenShot442.jpg

You're highlighting a toposurface point (-1'-0"). How is this germane? If you close out of editing mode and place a spot elevation on it, it can read that "spot" (where the point is located) relative to Project Base Point OR Survey Point. 

Message 12 of 27
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

....you cannot have the toposurface reference survey elevations.' and future grade changes will be from the project base point.

No, that is an incorrect statement. 

Message 13 of 27
chughes

It is germane when you are defining locations for the 16' elevation contour to follow.

The contour line elevation relative to the top of slab is less significant than the contour line relative to surveyed back of street curb or site wall.  The toposurface point elevation is what controls the direction and flow of the contour lines.  The location of my slab (and Project Base Point) is controlled by site conditions, not the other way around.

I am simply looking for a way to have the toposurface points reference actual true elevations, not Project Base Point.  It would seem that I could draw the toposurface to true elevations, based on the Survey Point, without having to draw it first and then move it on the Z axis.

Message 14 of 27
chughes

Native elevation, in this instance, is 16'-0" NAVD.

To make future manipulations to the site, after I draw it and move it, I create new toposurface points at -1'-0", not 16'-0".

Message 15 of 27
SteveKStafford

@Anonymous wrote:

Is having the toposurface reference the survey elevation information and not the project elevation information within a single model not possible?

Toposurface points only reference the Project Coordinate System (PCS). If you create a Toposurface based on an external source the resulting points and surface reference it's position relative to the PCS.

I always use a separate model for site/surface conditions so the surface can be at actual site elevations. I link the building model(s) to site and move it up to the intended ground floor elevation. This allows me to show any elevation conditions I need to, either arbitrary values at 0' or 100' or actual sea level related values; via spot elevations and level annotation. Combined with survey data this allows me to manage the overall location data for a building or collection of buildings effectively too.

Sounds like you feel it is a bit much to use a separate file just so you can enter point values for a surface using values that match the survey. As such, you could...

• create the toposurface using the actual elevations (it's too high now)
  • move it down to the correct elevation
  • To edit it later, move the toposurface back up to the actual elevation
  • Edit/add points - Finish
  • move it back down to the relevant elevation

For example, a toposurface that sits at 215' above sea level you'd move it down 215' after creating it, then move it back up 215' to edit/add points, and move it back down the same 215' when finished. Just the extra move up/down versus working with a separate file.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 16 of 27
chughes
in reply to: SteveKStafford

All, thanks for the feedback.  I do feel it is too much to create separate projects for site and building, especially on single family projects. 

I will move the toposurface vertically as needed when I need to manipulate it.  Sure would be nice to set it and forget it, though.

Message 17 of 27
SteveKStafford

Felt the same way at first, but over the years I've learned to just use a separate site model. I find it easier to resolve requests and issues that arise during the course of a project. For example, when someone decides the building needs to move elsewhere on the site, or they break it into separate elements, like a detached garage or in-law apartment...

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 18 of 27
Sahay_R
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I'm in the same camp as @SteveKStafford. These are two entirely different types of information. Divide and rule is the name of the game.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 19 of 27
jfrazierdorsky

I know exactly what you are wanting to do, I don't think these others do. Did you ever solve it? And not have to link a model in? I just want my site elements to be based on actual survey numbers and my building to still have its ground floor at 0'-0"  Seems like it should be possible given that they give you both a survey point and a project base point.  But you can set the topo surface to align with one or the other, which sucks, then you have to do math which I hate.

Message 20 of 27

@jfrazierdorsky wrote:

I know exactly what you are wanting to do, I don't think these others do. Did you ever solve it? And not have to link a model in? I just want my site elements to be based on actual survey numbers and my building to still have its ground floor at 0'-0"  Seems like it should be possible given that they give you both a survey point and a project base point.  But you can set the topo surface to align with one or the other, which sucks, then you have to do math which I hate.

Huh?  

You say:

I just want my site elements to be based on actual survey numbers and my building to still have its ground floor at 0'-0"

What's stopping you?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report