Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel structures, need help with some general and specific questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
blank...
197 Views, 4 Replies

Steel structures, need help with some general and specific questions

I have no issues with brick and mortar buildings, but the dreaded day that I have to do my first steel structure building has come.

General question about truss creation:
This is what we get from the structural engineer. It's very specific and detailed, so in the family template I created that exact truss, with those exact dimensions and then stretch it to that exact dimension in the project. Since it doesn't have to be parametric. Everything looks fine, Is this an OK approach for such cases or did I broke some Revit truss rule that will give me headaches down the road?

01Steel.jpg

Specific question 1:
When I use the notch tool, looking in 3D it does the job correctly, but in elevation I get this line. How do I get rid of it, I don't see any graphical options in notch parameters.

02Steel.jpg

Specific question 2:
How to notch multiple elements, as in these examples. I can get there by drawing reference planes that follow bottom chords and then extend one web, cut, extend another, cut, draw reference planes that follow the webs, extend the middle one, cut, cut again... Is this it, or is there a faster automatic way?

03Steel.jpg

Specific question 3:
Is there some direct way to get the actual weight of the elements, in kg?
Again, I did come up with a way, outside of Revit convert unit weight from kN/m3 to kg/m3, then calculate how much that is since I can schedule material volume. I presume some custom parameters and calculated fields could do it in Revit, but that's too much hassle in this case, Excel is easier.  Did I miss a field somewhere to get to kilograms directly in Revit?

05Steel.jpg

Specific question 4:
What is the proper way of creating custom elements? Cyan element that sits on top of the column in this image. I just pick a template and model it? I though I'd start with the column itself and modify it, so I can keep structural analysis parameters, so I can get the weight of them. Is this an OK approach for such cases or did I broke some Revit rule that will give me headaches down the road?

04Steel.jpg

Specific question 5:
Connections, they can be placed only one at a time. For example column base plates, I can't select all of the columns and place base plates on all of them. Is it OK to place one and array / copy it to others, or did I broke some Revit rule that will give me headaches down the road?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 3 of 5
blank...
in reply to: blank...

Thanks @barthbradley 

Anyone has any info on other questions, am I on the right track?

Message 4 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: blank...

@blank... wrote:

I have no issues with brick and mortar buildings, but the dreaded day that I have to do my first steel structure building has come.

General question about truss creation:
This is what we get from the structural engineer. It's very specific and detailed, so in the family template I created that exact truss, with those exact dimensions and then stretch it to that exact dimension in the project. Since it doesn't have to be parametric. Everything looks fine, Is this an OK approach for such cases or did I broke some Revit truss rule that will give me headaches down the road?

01Steel.jpg

Specific question 1:
When I use the notch tool, looking in 3D it does the job correctly, but in elevation I get this line. How do I get rid of it, I don't see any graphical options in notch parameters.

02Steel.jpg

This is an oversight with steel connection.  You would need to use Linework tool to clean up the line.

Specific question 2:
How to notch multiple elements, as in these examples. I can get there by drawing reference planes that follow bottom chords and then extend one web, cut, extend another, cut, draw reference planes that follow the webs, extend the middle one, cut, cut again... Is this it, or is there a faster automatic way?

03Steel.jpg

Maybe ask this question over Revit Structure forum.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-structure-forum/bd-p/153

Specific question 3:
Is there some direct way to get the actual weight of the elements, in kg?
Again, I did come up with a way, outside of Revit convert unit weight from kN/m3 to kg/m3, then calculate how much that is since I can schedule material volume. I presume some custom parameters and calculated fields could do it in Revit, but that's too much hassle in this case, Excel is easier.  Did I miss a field somewhere to get to kilograms directly in Revit?

05Steel.jpg

You can add a Calculated Value parameter:

ToanDN_0-1653080273849.png

Specific question 4:
What is the proper way of creating custom elements? Cyan element that sits on top of the column in this image. I just pick a template and model it? I though I'd start with the column itself and modify it, so I can keep structural analysis parameters, so I can get the weight of them. Is this an OK approach for such cases or did I broke some Revit rule that will give me headaches down the road?

04Steel.jpg

You can create families and choosing a proper template:

ToanDN_2-1653080590501.png

If it is truly unique element, you can create it using in-place model  and choosing a proper category.

ToanDN_1-1653080448566.png

Specific question 5:
Connections, they can be placed only one at a time. For example column base plates, I can't select all of the columns and place base plates on all of them. Is it OK to place one and array / copy it to others, or did I broke some Revit rule that will give me headaches down the road?

You can copy-multiple a connection.  I don't think array will work though.  

Thanks in advance!

Message 5 of 5
blank...
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

Maybe ask this question over Revit Structure forum.

Will do, thanks for the pointer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators