Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change location of dictionary file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
HVAC-Novice
379 Views, 8 Replies

change location of dictionary file

How do I change the location for the personal dictionary in R2023? i can't edit the string and clicking on " Edit" just opens the txt file. 

I like to keep that file on a different drive so when I install future Revit, I can re-use my dictionary. 

I got a new PC, so the old R2022 dictionary is gone due to me forgetting about this. But for next time I like to keep it on a network drive that is backed up. 

enkus_0-1652825201439.png

Revit version: R2024.2.1
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

It seems you can't.  Just copy the custom.dic file from that folder to your own folder and keep it.

Message 3 of 9
barthbradley

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

I got a new PC, so the old R2022 dictionary is gone due to me forgetting about this. 

I'm not clear on what you mean by "gone", but if you are just trying to "mirror" your old computer's Revit settings, you can copy over and use its Revit.ini file. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-sha...

Message 4 of 9
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: barthbradley

Gone as in the file is on the C-drive of the old computer that now is at the recycling center (or more likely landfill).

A local drive is not a good location to store. That drive is not backed up, can fail, or be replaced. That is why i like an up to date version on a network drive. 

Looks like I have to use some automated way to back up that file on the C-drive to a network drive. If I just manually copy it, I won't have the up-to-date version. 

Message 5 of 9
Ric_Weber
Message 6 of 9
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Ric_Weber

My R2023 ini file doesn't have a "spelling" section. It has the Language settings, though. They still mention it in the R2023 help...

Wherever the setting is, I think it would be easy for Autodesk to expose it to the user without having to manipulate ini or other files. 

Message 7 of 9
Ric_Weber

@HVAC-Novice  I agree completely that's why I voted up your Revit Idea...  You have to add the spelling section.  There are several sections that are not there until you modify something and some like the Spelling section that you have to just add manually.  It's a pain, but at least you can get it done. 

Message 8 of 9
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Ric_Weber

I see, it needs to be added. i added something similar to the example they show. but it didn't actually change the location (at least it didn't look like that in the "Options" menu).

I un-did my edits... If all my skill is copying and pasting and changing the path, I shouldn't edit the ini file 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Ric_Weber

Here would be a simplified and emptied version of the example they had in the document:

[Spelling]

ArchDict=

CustomDict=

Just add your path in for each of the files.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report