Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECTION BOX NOT WORKING ON TOPO SURFACE

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ronZP7WX
958 Views, 7 Replies

SECTION BOX NOT WORKING ON TOPO SURFACE

I imported a Sketchup model of a large city district. Trying to specify my site area with a section box. The section box sections all the buildings but only sections the topo surface north to south or east to west -- it won't section the entire surface?? Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: ronZP7WX

Don't link or city model directly in the project.  Create an in-place Generic Models family and link the city model in there.

Message 3 of 8
ronZP7WX
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the tip. I've tried many different ways but still no success. Could you please walk me through the process in more detail? Perhaps I've missed something?

Best,

Ron

Message 4 of 8
RDAOU

@ronZP7WX 

The image with section box you posted IS cutting the skp but only in one direction which is odd. In principle it should either cuts or NOT CUT...unless you have cropped it that way before bringing it in?

1. Which format/version are you using?
  2. Did you try to bring it in a different format?
  3. Can you attach the skp?

RDAOU_0-1631387389666.png        RDAOU_1-1631387499550.png

Cropped                                                                                                     Not Cropped

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN

architecture tab > component > model in place > select Generic Models category > link the SketchUp or CAD file in > finish 

Message 6 of 8
ronZP7WX
in reply to: ToanDN

I've been doing exactly what you directed and it never allows a section box to cut the topo surface on all four sides-- only east to west?? Furthermore, I'm trying to separate the buildings from the topo surface which i've done in the family file but it does not load into project file as "exploded"? Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 8
RDAOU

@ronZP7WX 

1. Export the file from Sketchup as DWG  (Instructions Here)
  2. The Topo/site should be on one layer and the buildings on another
  3. Do not explode (neither in AutoCAD nor in Revit
  4. When you bring the DWG into Revit (model in place component or a generic model family, you can switch off the buildings under imported categories (or not import them the first place)

REPACKAGE

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 8
barthbradley

It happens sometimes.  Sometimes it's correctable by fidgeting with the 3D Section Box and sometimes it's not.

This one, also a large site, was posted on this forum by awhile back. You might check with the OP of this thread a see what he and his team discovered: 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/revit-2020-section-box-amp-sketchup-models/t...

SKP and 3D Section Box 1.pngSKP and 3D Section Box.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report