Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2020 Section Box & SketchUp Models

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
963 Views, 7 Replies

Revit 2020 Section Box & SketchUp Models

Hi All,

There seems to be a bug in Revit 2020 where an imported SKP file (whether inside an in-place family or inside a loadable family) does not get cut properly by the section box.

I confirmed with someone from another office that this is happening to their SKP files in R2020 as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it does cut, but it depends on how far you cut.  Sometimes if the section box is a bit smaller, it will not cut, but then if you make it larger it will cut properly.  Also, the person who tested this in the other office mentioned that this was only happening for him when modifying the north and south planes of the section box.

Please see below for reference (this is a 3D view, looking at the Top plane)

SKP Not Cut.png

I tried this on Revit 2019 with the same SKP file and encountered no issues.

Has anyone else encountered this issue/resolved this issue?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Post it and let us test.  

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Sure, here are some test files:

SketchUp R20 Test.rfa - Site Family w/ SketchUp saved down to SketchUp Version 8 imported in

SketchUp R20 Test v2.skp - SketchUp Model  

Test Project.rvt - Revit Project with family placed in

The Test Project wil open up on the 3D view showing the section box being smaller than the family/skp, but the family/skp isn't being cut by the section box.

Note: I tested it out with another skp with multiple small boxes and that seemed to cut properly.  The issue seems to be when the surface of an element in the skp is very large (just for example, let's say someone decided to load in a context model with roads using a sketchup model).

Edit: SKP isnt supported so it didn't get uploaded.  But this was just a random skp model that I created anyway - made it from scratch and no complexity at all.

Edit2: Here's a link to the SKP file actually, just incase LINK

Thanks for taking the time

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

No issues here. Project Section Box is cutting SKP fine on my side of the fence. Maybe something is up with your install.  

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Hmm.. had two other offices confirm that it's not working for them either.  All of us using different Revit models and SketchUp files.

Thanks for your update though!

Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

Hmm...I sense disbelief.

What is left of SKP.png

Message 7 of 8
bin
Advisor

Have you tried saving the SKP file into an older version?

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hey all,

As i've mentioned in my original post, there are times where the skp is cut properly and times where it isnt.  From what I can tell, usually when the section box is smaller it has more of a chance to cause the bug.  For the most part, yes, the section box will cut properly.

All of the skps that were tested were saved to SketchUp Version 8.  I haven't tried saving down lower than that, but if SketchUp Version 8 doesn't cause issues in 2019, then that same version causing issues in 2020 sounds like a bug that needs to be looked at.

Here are two screenshots of the skp not getting cut properly, all are using different skp files and revit models and also from different offices and computers, and also the test file from yesterday (all SketchUp files were also down saved to SketchUp Version 8):

Office01.pngOffice02.pngTest02.png

Thanks for spending the time.

EDIT: Just for information, the first image shows the SKP as an in-place family while the other two images are the SKP as a loadable family

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report