Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roofs with dual slopes and curved "swoops" at the wall edge

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2682 Views, 4 Replies

Roofs with dual slopes and curved "swoops" at the wall edge

I am having a very difficult time creating a roof that varies in slope and has a curved "swoop" at the lower end where it hits the wall. These roofs are common on traditional homes styles. The roof on the front has a 6:12 pitch and on the sides it has a 12:12 pitch. This in itself posed a problem for Revit because it created a fascia depth on the 12:12 that was 4" deeper than the asked for 8" depth that was on the 6:12 edges. I was able to solve this by creating a flat roof and then modifying the center points of the roof to raise them up and create the proper slopes. Problem "A" solved, BUT now I need to created a swoop at the lower end of the roof that travels around the entire roof as it changes slope. I dont know how to make this work. It need to somehow match up on the corners where the slope changes and mesh together, so the angle of the curve needs to change from side to side and back again. Is this possible? I tried to create a solid for the lower 3' of roof that sort of works on the 12:12 side but once it reaches the 6:12 side it disjoins and looks weird. It cant be cut at dormers or modified at any point along the path. Failure. Can this be done???
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PijPiwo
in reply to: Anonymous

Create a mass and apply roof by face.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PijPiwo

Thanks for the help. Basically you are saying that I should model the entire roof, peak to fascia, in a 3d mass and then apply the "Roof by face" command to all sides of the mass which will convert it into an actual roof form? I'm asking because I am not too familiar with the massing command, so this will be new territory for me.
Message 4 of 5
PijPiwo
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, create a rectangular mass block extrusion with the footprint of your roof, then create a void extrusion with a shape highlighted in blue (see pic.), repeat for the other two roof planes and apply roof by face.

Alternatively, if you’re not comfortable with the massing environment, make a regular roof by footprint and create a sweep for the curved part of the roof - two pairs for two different slopes and cut the excess at the ends with a void extrusion.

Fascia tool will work as well instead of a sweep - two fascia sets with a profile of the angled roof part, you will still need to cut the excess at ends.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PijPiwo

Thanks. These are great tips.  I will try them all out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report