Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redraw 3d-DWG to Revit Family

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jarredmonday
460 Views, 12 Replies

Redraw 3d-DWG to Revit Family

Hello everyone,

I've been using AutoCAD for nearly 20 years and I am now starting to work with Revit. I am in over my on modeling 3d objects within Revit with creating a Door Family. I am currently self training and I am using Revit to model our residential single family houses to create exterior renderings with Enscape. I've attached a 3d model of a Garage Door using AutoCAD and was hoping someone could create or insert this into a Family for me to load into my Revit drawing, where I can also apply textures, as well. I am wanting to represent what we are physically using.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barthbradley
in reply to: jarredmonday

@jarredmonday wrote:

hoping someone could create or insert this into a Family for me to load into my Revit drawing, where I can also apply textures, as well. I am wanting to represent what we are physically using.

Just curious to know why you are even using Revit at this stage in your 20 year career.  I mean, it sounds like you don't care to learn it, so why bother with it?  

Message 3 of 13
mhiserZFHXS

Find some tutorials on family creation on YouTube. Its a process to learn, but then you'll be able to create far more than this single door.

And kudos for making the jump after so many years. Revit is certainly more complicated than AutoCAD, but its because it can do so much more. Once you get over the learning curve, you'll be able to work waaay more efficiently than you ever could in CAD.

Message 4 of 13
barthbradley

FWIW: There are plenty of CAD to BIM conversion services available on-line. You might consider employing one of them to convert your entire CAD Library.  Also, you might try Googling "Revit Garage Door Family". I'll bet you get plenty of hits.  

Message 5 of 13
jarredmonday

I believe I accomplished what I am needing, about 95%. I cannot understand how to make the handle portion, but that is not important at this stage for me. Thank you for the comments.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 13
jarredmonday
in reply to: barthbradley

I am working on using Revit for a few reasons...Looks great on your Resume, the common knowledge of what Revit can provide for a company and the utilization of it is similar to AutoCAD Architecture. AutoCAD has been the default software in my area and I finally convinced upper management to allow me to learn and understand what Revit can provide us, in the long term.

Where in my question for assistance, where I was struggling, sounded like I'm not wanting to learn...?

Message 7 of 13
jarredmonday

I couldn't find what I was looking for, specifically. So the time came to dive in and attempt to create what was needed. Luckily some of the tutorials I found mentioned the struggles I was having enough to accomplish my goal.

Message 8 of 13
barthbradley

Where did you find this family?  

Message 9 of 13
barthbradley

I'm talking about the Revit Family you posted in the message you marked as the Accepted Solution.  

Message 10 of 13
barthbradley

Did you build that all by yourself?  

Message 11 of 13
jarredmonday

Yes, I just finished building it from scratch using a door family template and referencing the cad file I previously made. 

Message 12 of 13
barthbradley

@jarredmonday wrote:

Yes, I just finished building it from scratch using a door family template and referencing the cad file I previously made. 

HA! So, you just came here to see if you could get someone else do it for you?  To save you the bother of doing it yourself?   Pretty ballsy, if so.  

...or did you already have it done and manufactured an excuse to post it here to show off?  

Message 13 of 13
jarredmonday

lol. I've been working on this dang garage door for 2 days trying to figure out how Revit manipulates mass objects. I asked the question and kept working on it, hopefully as a collective, but I came across a solution to understanding what steps I needed to create voids, lofts and sweeps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report