Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible or impossible? DWG

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
483 Views, 7 Replies

Possible or impossible? DWG

Hello everybody,

I would say that I'm totally new using Revit and I'm French, so my english isn't so good.

I got a question about Revit, maybe it's a stupid question but let me explain it.

Let say that I use a .DWG file come from Rhino, the 3D is an chair in two materials : wood and steel.

I want to import it in Revit with having the possibilities to change the materials or colors like the wood become plastics, but do you think it's possible to modify only the parts of the chair who are in wood?

Thanks in advance and don't hesitate to let me know if I was not too precise.
Have a nice day,
Dylan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, it's not a stupid question. It's just a hard to answer question. It depends.  Rhino to AutoCAD to Revit doesn't tell me much.  I would need to see the DWG file to answer.  If want to post the DWG,  we can better advise you.  But, the best way to do this, would be to recreate the chair in Revit.    

Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everybody,

I would say that I'm totally new using Revit and I'm French, so my english isn't so good.

I got a question about Revit, maybe it's a stupid question but let me explain it.

Let say that I use a .DWG file come from Rhino, the 3D is an chair in two materials : wood and steel.

I want to import it in Revit with having the possibilities to change the materials or colors like the wood become plastics, but do you think it's possible to modify only the parts of the chair who are in wood?

Thanks in advance and don't hesitate to let me know if I was not too precise.
Have a nice day,
Dylan

Assume that the chair cannot be replicate by modeled directly in Revit.  Yes, you can use Rhino imports with specific rules.

1. If all the chairs have the same two materials for the entire project then give them two layers and assign a material to each layer via Revit's Object Styles > Import categories.

2. If each chair have two materials but they maybe different from one chair to another (e.g. some chairs with a darker wood, some chairs with a lighter wood, etc...), then it is going to suck.  You have to have copies of the chair drawings and change the layer names for each of them so that when imported in Revit, you can assign different materials to different seats or legs.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hello ToanDN and barthbradley,

Thank you so much to try to help me.
Unfortunatly there is a problem when I export from Rhino.

To work more clearly I've made a simple 3D on Rhino with one Cube and one Cylinder, the both are placed in different layers where each one have a different colors and a different material. The cube and the cylinder touching each other.

But, I export it using "export selecting objects" in .SAT with the "AutoCAD" option export.

So, I open it on Revit using a family : new family, import CAD, I choose my files and it come in one part, when I open "Object Styles" and go to "Imported objects" there is only one category so just one layer.

I've put the .3dm file of the cylinder and the cube, so if you want to try it you can.

Here is it :  https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c073c740c870a23866dfeef162232da220190305110920/186321ccece3524d06dc...

I hope it will work on this Cube and Cylinder then I will try again to the chair.
Thanks again
Best,
Dylan

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN

SAT files don't have layers. You have to export to DWGs.

If you export to SATs, export each material as one SAT file.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Ok thanks it's worked so nice!!

But now I try to made a render, but I can't made a render in the "family" right? I need to import the object(family) in a projects and made the render right?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

OK I got a new question about it.

Now it's ok, I can export .DWG from Rhino to Revit and change the materials of all the differents parts/layers I've maded.

But can we imagine that, there is a 3D files of a chair, the chair is made in steel tube and wood.

The colors/textures of the wood never change.

Can I pre-set the steel tube colors? I mean, how can I limited the materials/colors of one element? If the steel tube of the chair are available in the real market only in black or blue, can I do something with Revit to say : ok, this steel tube can be black, or it can be blue. And finally, the architect who put the .DWG chair into his Revit project can choose what color he want for the steel tube.

I'm not sure to be clear, let me know if not!

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 8
barthbradley

Can you post a screenshot of this Rhino chair -- or a DWG or SAT? I'm not able to open your 3DM.  If I could see what you are doing, I might have some tips for you.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators