Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing & moving previously created house model on imported CAD topography file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1166 Views, 6 Replies

Placing & moving previously created house model on imported CAD topography file

1) I need to place house model that created and saved earlier on building pad in newly imported CAD file with topography lines (survey map). How can I do that ?

2) Is it possible to move full house model on building pad and with building pad in all directions horizontally and vertically and specify moving distance in feet on that exported topography map, or it can be only moved by moving each wall, floors, components ? I need to know that in case if previously proposed house model placement on the property (lot) has to be changed (moved) due to building restrictions or other adjustments. How to do that ? Thank you !

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the Building Project Linked into the Project containing the Toposurface/Buiding Pad, or is the Toposurface/Building Pad created in the same Project as the Building. If the latter, don't reposition the Building.  Instead reposition the Toposurface/Building Pad -- then re-acquire or re-publish coordinates if sharing.  

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand 🤔. Here is what I meant. I have never done it before. I watched Revit training video about how to import CAD file with Geological survey map into the project and create topography from it and then place building pad on it.

Question 1.

I import CAD file with survey map into my new project - then  create topography from it - then place building pad - then draw the house model - all in one project. Now (for instance) when my house is all done and furnished I have to move it up or down and rotate fully with all furniture and other components in it. If I can not move the house and pad that it is seating on, can I move that topography under it - rotate or move up or down to achieve desired house position on the lot (topography)? How can I do that ? Please explain in steps.

Question 2.  Different situation. I have another house model created and saved previously in another project. Now (for instance) client asks ''I want to see how my home will sit on the Geological survey map of my property (lot)''. Please explain how can I place that house on it if I will import CAD file with Geological survey map in that house project and create topography from it and will need also move the house or topography up and down and rotate it until (for instance) client or city or HOA are happy. Please explain in steps how to do that too.

Question 3   Is building pad placed on topography - attached to topography and always will move with it ? If yes is it better not to create building pad at all. Previously I was never placing house in projects on building pad, but just created manually topography all around it. What is coordinates of sharing and how to work with it ? 

Thank you very much for your help ! I appreciate your patience with me🙂

Message 4 of 7
barthbradley

I would suggest a slightly different workflow. Do not model the Toposurface in the same Project as the house. Instead, model the Toposurface in it's own Project and then Link the house Project into the "Site" Project and place it where it goes on the Toposurface.  You'll be a much happier with this workflow in the long run. Promise. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you ! I will use your advise, sounds like a great idea !

Please explain in steps how to Link the house Project into the "Site" Project

What is coordinates of sharing and how to work with it ? 

Is building pad placed on topography - attached to topography and always will move with it ? If yes is it better not to create building pad at all. Previously I was never placing house in projects on building pad, but just created manually topography all around it. 

Message 6 of 7
barthbradley

The Building Pad can easily moved about on the Toposurface.  If you use the approach I suggested, you will never move the Toposurface itself.  

Link One Model to Another

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

Workflow: Using Shared Coordinates

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you very much ! I will look it up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report