Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint issue

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jfjacques
2840 Views, 13 Replies

Paint issue

I've been trying to add a material to an extruded roof's side. When I do, I can't move the material. Likely som glitch. (It's paneling)

WTF? 

I then added a component as a sort of fascia, because modelling fascia's in revit is a pain. 

Whatever I do though, I can't material paint this component, whether the model in place be wall roof etc...

This is crazy, all I want to do is to be able to assign a surface material to a piece of geometry and align it with my previous paneling. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: jfjacques

I have no issues aligning material pattern between a painted roof and the walls below it.

ToanDN_0-1625100044259.png

ToanDN_1-1625100069807.png

Message 3 of 14
jfjacques

I know, is it a bug?

I've attached the file - the north elevation roof doesn't align. And the material on the roof doesn't rotate. 

Message 4 of 14
ToanDN

So you cannot align material painted on a roof by extrusion, but you can on a roof by footprint. If you don't want to recreate the roof or add a fascia, then you could create parts from the roof by extrusion, assign a material to parts if needed, and align them.
Message 5 of 14
jfjacques
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok, why not? Bug. Revit ****? 

I modelled the fascia, which at this point would be the fastest solution, but walls can't attach top to fascias!!! making them useless.  ****. WHY THE **** NOT?  So it looks like parts works, but requires a lot of cleaning up. I have to hide the material layers and I have to make all materials the one I want to display. Not going to work either.  This is ridiculous. 

Message 6 of 14
ToanDN

@jfjacques wrote:

I've been trying to add a material to an extruded roof's side. When I do, I can't move the material. Likely som glitch. (It's paneling)

WTF? 

I then added a component as a sort of fascia, because modelling fascia's in revit is a pain. 

Whatever I do though, I can't material paint this component, whether the model in place be wall roof etc...

This is crazy, all I want to do is to be able to assign a surface material to a piece of geometry and align it with my previous paneling. 

- Edit the roof and make it smaller than the exterior footprint of the walls.  When you look from the top down, the footprint of the roof should be matching the inside face of the exterior finish of the walls.

- Go to the elevation view and draw a ref plane match the top plane of the roof

- Detach the walls from the roof and attach them again to that ref plane.  Now the exterior finish of the wall should cover the side of the roof.

- Join geometry the walls and the roof.  If you see the walls poking thru then switch join order to make the roof the cutting the walls.

Message 7 of 14
jfjacques

It's a good idea, but the wall is not all flush with the roof. 

Tried modelling the roof by footprint but that didn't work as it is angled. Is this not possible

In any case, modelled it as mass and it works now.

Thanks for the help. 

Message 8 of 14
RDAOU

@jfjacques @ToanDN 

The above statement is not entirely true...Model Patterns CAN be aligned on roofs by extrusion!!!!

Here is the roof by extrusion from the uploaded Revit...there is a thing to it but it aligns to other material patterns as well as to any other model or detail line

align model pattern.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 14
Martijn.Pater
in reply to: RDAOU

@jfjacques@RDAOU See answers in the other topic aswell. Indeed, assigning a model pattern to this paint material should work(?) (which Revit version are we talking? 2022?)...

The only reason I could think of tbh is when a material/pattern is placed within a family or group, then you wouldn't be able to move it without moving the element for instance. Maybe see if that's the case here.

If not the above, if you did assign a model pattern to be used, perhaps check if you are actually selecting/using that same material to paint this surface with maybe... unfortunately I can't open your file to see, using rvt2020 atm... 

Message 10 of 14
ToanDN

@RDAOU you are right.

Just tried again and I see it can be done in a particular order:  1st - align the pattern to the sloped plane of the roof, then 2nd - align the vertical again to a horizontal or vertical reference (the plumb edge of the roof in this instance).

Message 11 of 14
RDAOU

No specific order required ... it can align to any direction from the first instance...it just can't be done in the same direction more than once. That's why it gives the impression that it is not aligning ... annoying but yeah!

On this one I would say Revit 1 - 1 @jfjacques 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 14
jfjacques
in reply to: RDAOU

More than annoying, If I can't align more than once then I'm going to have issues.  At the end of the day I still have to model it some other way.  This is not 1-1. It's a full on bug which ****ed with my day. 

Thanks for the help on this one. 

Message 13 of 14
Martijn.Pater

Well... just trying to understand, but I guess I'm not seeing the issue... Why wouldn't you be able to align the pattern more then once, or at all?

Message 14 of 14
RDAOU
in reply to: Martijn.Pater

🙂 I would start why are there wrong answers marked as solutions ... then move to the more in-depth questions 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report