Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MWF Wood Pro vs AGACAD for wood framing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
panastos
947 Views, 5 Replies

MWF Wood Pro vs AGACAD for wood framing

We are looking for tools to simplify the modeling of wood framing in Revit (Walls, Floors, and Roofs). We are looking at both MWF Pro and AGACAD Addins. These look to accomplish the same goals and are similarly priced. Both pieces of software are quite complex and will require some training and practice to get working well. I am leaning towards AGACAD as the software seems more powerful with more customization options, but it is really hard to say without spending quite a bit of time with both pieces of software. We work on custom homes with complex geometry and structure.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these addins? Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: panastos

Why don't you have each of them explain to you why their product is better than the other?

Message 3 of 6
cwid

I've been learning MWF for a few weeks now and it's a steep learning curve. It's buggy, poorly thought-out and seems unfinished. I'm sure it will accomplish what I want it to, once I learn the quirks, and they are updating features frequently. Don't know anything about AGACAD. Niche software plugins are what they are. Maybe try to peep through a few Youtube tutorials of both and see which user seems less frustrated.

Since it's been a few months, how has AGACAD been? Assuming that's what you went with.
Message 4 of 6
panastos
in reply to: cwid

I am having a similar experience with AGACAD. Some aspects of it work better than others. It has a steep learning curve and is not without bugs. For framing walls it is most useful and thought out, for doing roofs and especially floors it often seems like more work than it is worth. If you are doing shop drawings for panelized construction, I think that would be getting the most use out of it.

Unfortunately, Revit requires very complex solutions to achieve what it is providing, and it feels a little like forcing a square peg into a round hole. AGACAD has custom families with sometimes dozens of added parameters to make it work. Until Revit starts to offer this kind of functionality OOTB (which it really should for stud wall framing, and roof rafter end cuts for instance should also be a standard tool where you can apply a profile,) this is what we've got to work with. Our firm looks to provide this high level of quality in our models to our clients, but it doesn't seem like many other engineering firms are focused on this, so it is unlikely that it will get focused on by Autodesk, and I don't see it mentioned in their roadmap.

Back to the original question I asked, I purchased AGACAD because it felt like a more powerful/flexible piece of software vs MWF, and I think I stand by that assessment. But it is often not intuitive and requires quite a bit of time (and family customization sometimes) to figure out how to make it work for someone inexperienced with it. Perhaps MWF is easier to use, but from your post it doesn't sound like it.

Message 5 of 6
RichardKJLYB

@panastos 

Hi, thankful for the post.

I have been enjoying Agacad and would like to spend more time with it.

I'm not sure that it is worth it for me yet to go ahead and purchase an annual subscription.

Ar you aware by any chance of them offering a monthly plan as well? I only saw annual and "get offer"

Message 6 of 6
ARQMARCEL3

Estou testando os dois MWF x AGACAD. O bom do MWF da Strucsoft é que tem técnicos que falam portugues e isto ajuda muito.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report