Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked model modifies coordinates

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
Marielen_
1058 Views, 35 Replies

Linked model modifies coordinates

Hello, I need to link a .RVT (1) file to another .RVT (2) file, but when I link the file (1) to the file (2), it changes the coordinates and there is no location in the right place, does anyone understand why?

Thank you anyway

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
jkarben
in reply to: Marielen_

The parameter may be Coordinate Base

Spot Coord.jpg

Message 22 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: barthbradley

the system coordinate rules are on the host, the linked file was located at the exact coordinates to match the host, when I link the file, the coordinates of the linked file are different in the host file. When I publish coordinates, the linked file remains with the same coordinates, when I acquire coordinates, the host project changes coordinates, but the projects still do not match.

Message 23 of 36
barthbradley

Yes, I get what you have done. You screwed up. Plain and simple.  It's not Revit's fault. It's also not something that can be "solved" by us -- nor should it be.  

Message 24 of 36
Marielen_

SORRY????????

Message 25 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: jkarben

Both the linked project and the host are configured as a survey point

Message 26 of 36
barthbradley

Sorry? Sorry for  what?  Wish I could help you out of this jamb. If you hadn't been moving the coordinate systems about by Acquiring and Publishing, it would have probably been an easy fix. Sorry.  

...do you know how to Specify Coordinates at Point?   

Message 27 of 36
Marielen_

man, I just did a test, I went through the coordinate system to acquire and publish to test and not change the problem. You can be kinder and think better when you reply, this forum is for working collaboratively; if you are not willing, it is not your place.

And I know how to specify coordinates at the point!

Message 28 of 36
Yien_Chao

i would like to reproduce your workflow, can you share it with purged files?

Message 29 of 36
barthbradley

@Marielen_ wrote:

I know how to specify coordinates at the point!

Great! Does that work for you?   

Message 30 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: Yien_Chao

The files are renamed according to their "rules", a host and another link, it would be interesting to note that the north of the host project is rotated 90 degrees east and the linked project is not with the north in the same way, maybe it has some relationship , or not.

thanks

Message 31 of 36
jkarben

Good that they are both using Survey Point. Then your objective is to get the site survey points (triangle) in the same location.  Specify Coordinate at the point may be your ticket to get them to match. Activate the command > Select the Point > input the linked models values. This will move the triangle in your host model and your spot coordinate will report correctly. If you have modeled elements they may need to move.

For best results if you want the linked model's coordinates

1. Link model
  2. Position linked model
  3. Acquire coordinates from the linked model 
Message 32 of 36
barthbradley

These two attachments don't help.   Did you post the correct files?  I think not. 

Message 33 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: jkarben

hello, I would like to show the problem in another way:
the image shows the host project in red and the linked element in blue. Apparently the "level" element is matching between the two.

foto9.jpg

Host Project:

foto10.JPG

Message 34 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: Yien_Chao

Message 35 of 36
martijn_pater

You mean this link ? Just move the link in position and publish coordinates... ? I still don't quite understand the issue I suppose. Also your files are not linked at all, maybe share them as you have linked it in the host model... 

Message 36 of 36
SteveKStafford

Your Link model (stair/bridge) is quite far away from the Internal Origin of Revit. Your Host model is very near the Internal Origin. I assume you intend to have the link land on the toposurface in the correct location. For that to happen your models need to have a common frame of reference.

The Link model is +3k meters from Revit's origin and +32 meters above zero elevation. How did you decide to start modeling it at that location? You need to create the Host model with the same logic you used for the Link model or vice versa. I see that the Survey Point has been moved away from the Project Base Point in the Host model. The files you shared do not have a Shared Coordinate relationship but that would be undone by the renaming of the files to upload them.

To return to the beginning: each model should be near Revit's origin; where you find the Project Base Point and Survey Point icons at the outset. In the host (site) model a survey file can be used to create a relationship with the site by linking and orienting the Survey (DWG assumed) as needed. Then Acquire Coordinates will align the Survey Coordinate System of Revit with the World Coordinate System of the DWG.

Create the stair/bridge model near the origin as well. You can either link the site model to the bridge or bridge to site. If you link the site model to the bridge you have to move it to align with the bridge and use Acquire Coordinates. If you do the reverse then you need to use Publish Coordinates on the Bridge model from within the Site model.

If you aren't interested in that relationship, don't have a site/survey file. Then just use the same logic you used to create the bridge (link file) to create the other file. Then you can link them using positioning option Auto - Origin to Origin.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators