Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked model modifies coordinates

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
Marielen_
1055 Views, 35 Replies

Linked model modifies coordinates

Hello, I need to link a .RVT (1) file to another .RVT (2) file, but when I link the file (1) to the file (2), it changes the coordinates and there is no location in the right place, does anyone understand why?

Thank you anyway

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Ahmed_Muharram
in reply to: Marielen_

did you use shared coordinates ?

Ahmed Muharram, B.Sc, AEE, ACI, ACP
BIM Manager
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 36
barthbradley

What do you mean "it changes the coordinates"? That doesn't make sense. 

Message 4 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: Ahmed_Muharram

Yes, no change. 

look the images: 

this is file 1 in its original coordinate:

this is file 1 in its original coordinatethis is file 1 in its original coordinate

this is the same linked file in the host Project:

foto6.JPG

if I publish the coordinates, nothing changes

Message 5 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: barthbradley
Message 6 of 36
martijn_pater

@Marielen_ wrote:

Hello, I need to link a .RVT (1) file to another .RVT (2) file, but when I link the file (1) to the file (2), it changes the coordinates and there is no location in the right place, does anyone understand why?

How were you linking the file..? to internal origin / project base point / shared coordinates? You still need to set up shared coordinates I think; https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Message 7 of 36
Marielen_
in reply to: martijn_pater

It doesn't depend on which option I share (I've tried them all), the coordinates seem to be fixed in this change.

Message 8 of 36
barthbradley

@Marielen_ wrote:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/linked-model-modifies-coordinates/m-p/956010...

@Marielen_:  the Link you provided circles us back to this thread.  What I am asking for, is a clearer explanation of your problem, because what you describe no sense whatsoever. Links cannot change coordinates on their own.  Maybe you can provide us with your step-by-step workflow so we can reproduce your issue.  

Message 9 of 36
Marielen_

the link does not change coordinates on its own when it is in its original .rvt file, it changes when linked to another file, which has its own coordinates. Needless to say, it doesn't make any sense, because for me this problem is concrete and it exists.

Message 10 of 36
barthbradley

@Marielen_ wrote:

Needless to say, it doesn't make any sense, because for me this problem is concrete and it exists.

What does that mean? Are you saying you that it is a known limitation (it's "concrete and exists")?  What is the limitation?  Understand that Linking is something we and every other firm on this planet do routinely with Revit everyday.  If such a limitation existed and there was no workaround for it, then Revit wouldn't exist because we and every other firm on the planet would switchover to ArchiCAD.  

Message 11 of 36
Marielen_

I am saying that it is a problem for me, I did not generalize to all the other links in the world, I would like to know why this discussion has not led to the solution so far.

Message 12 of 36
barthbradley

@Marielen_ wrote:

I am saying that it is a problem for me, I did not generalize to all the other links in the world, I would like to know why this discussion has not led to the solution so far.

You are being unreasonable.  It's incumbent on you to provide the information we need to help you. We are not mind readers here. Give us more specifics please.  We would love to solve this. Promise.   

Message 13 of 36
jkarben

In the host project, acquire the coordinates from the linked model.

The position of the shared site/coordinates do not currently align between the two models. Turn on visibility of Model Category > Site > Survey Point. If this is in 2020.2 or two triangles will appear, one from the linked model and one in the host model. Acquiring the coordinates will align the triangles.

Assumption: The spot coordinate in your view is reading the Survey Point. 

Message 14 of 36
barthbradley
in reply to: jkarben

@jkarben wrote:

Assumption: The spot coordinate in your view is reading the Survey Point. 

I didn't see the OP's screenshot.  That would be my very first question as well.  What is the "Coordinate Base" of the two Spot Coordinate Markers shown in the two screenshots. If fact, I would bet money that that was the culprit here.  The Link hasn't changed position at all. The Markers are just using different Coordinate Bases (e.g. Project Base Points vs Survey Point).  Good call, @jkarben.  

Message 15 of 36
Marielen_

Following the suggestions, I have a 2019 version and there are no two triangles, when acquiring coordinates nothing changes.
didn't understand about your assumption about the survey point.

Thanks anyway

Message 16 of 36
jkarben

Select your spot coordinate > Edit Type > Elevation Base > Change the value from the drop down.

Message 17 of 36
barthbradley

Betcha you got a message saying that coordinates match or are the same went you Acquired Coordinates. Am I right? 

Message 18 of 36
Marielen_

No, I received no

Message 19 of 36
Marielen_

Sorry, I didn't understand the procedure, could you take a picture of the process?

Message 20 of 36
barthbradley

@Marielen_ are you publishing or acquiring coordinates: You have stated that you  are doing both in this thread?  Which coordinate system rules? The coordinate system in the Link or the coordinate system in the Host? This is critical. If you are bouncing back and forth between Acquire and Publish, I can see where that would really screw things up. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators