Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to AUTO-numbering on schedules?

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
danezeq
5688 Views, 30 Replies

Is there anyway to AUTO-numbering on schedules?

i'm trying to number all items at once, without the need to do it one by one manually.
is there any way to do it in one act like in excel?attachment.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
PavelAnd
in reply to: danezeq

Hi. Look this tool. It have free order marking option.

Best regards, Pavel Plotitsyn.

Message 3 of 31
danezeq
in reply to: PavelAnd

Thanks. i tried. found it very complicated to operate...

Message 4 of 31
RDAOU

@danezeq 

Can use dynamo to auto-number those but that may require defining in what sequence should the instances be numbered? The image shows that the schedule/list is shuffled...or?

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 31
danezeq
in reply to: RDAOU

You mentioned a good point.

I'm actually keep thinking of how it would be right to sort them... reguardless of dynamo.

it's a list of signage elements on the parking building. This column stands for "seriel #" or "mark". of each sign.

My first intention was to sort them at the order of placing them on revit, but im trying to find a more reasonable order.

Message 6 of 31
danezeq

This is the sort i thought of:

1. by level (upper level = low number)

and then, 2. (dont know if it's possible) by location, from south-east to north west

Message 7 of 31
ToanDN

You need to establish some logic for organizing the numbers and stick with it.  You don't want to have every sign numbered chronologically then when you need to add a few signs in the middle and the numbers are totally off.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Use spatial data as prefix

2. Use a plan grid

image.png

Message 8 of 31
danezeq
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes. that what i thought of. didnt thought about the prefix. actually a prefix that states the level could help

level -3 = Cxxx

level -4 = Dxxxx

etc...

Message 9 of 31
danezeq
in reply to: ToanDN

So, the only way to do it is with dynamo?

Message 10 of 31
PavelAnd

If you have options for sorting, you can create a dyn file as shown below. In the attachment I am sending an example script. To modify it, you will need to study Dynamo and Python.

Example.gif

Best regards, Pavel Plotitsyn.

Message 11 of 31
danezeq

Thanks! i'll try to implement this right away.

i guess it's time for me to  learn dynamo basics 😞

Message 12 of 31
danezeq

It doest work, though i changed the name of the parameters (level and length) to be exactly like in my schedule

Message 13 of 31
Mark.Ackerley

Hey,

Just to suggest a possible alternative method...

I’m a big fan of Dynamo and use it daily, but I’ve moved away from it for these kinds of tasks because users weren’t running the graphs.

I now mostly combine parameters in labels and schedules to generate a unique code.

Then I can sort my schedule to number the few multiples (say I’m doing door numbers and have 2 doors in a random couple of rooms).

Hopefully that’s of interest 🙂

Mark

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/EN...

In your example 

Message 14 of 31
danezeq
in reply to: Mark.Ackerley

Thanks.

So this tip gives me the ability to assemble a code  that contains a floor number (for example) with "mark" together like ff-xxxx (f for floor) it can be helpful. thanks.

about the auto-numbering issue, will i still have to enter the marks one-by-one if i dont handle dynamo? right?

Message 15 of 31
Mark.Ackerley

Hey,

You certainly can use Dynamo if you need to 🙂

But for my example there wouldn’t be much advantage... My code is:

level  - unit number - main bathroom (where all bathroom doors are number 4*)

I can use a schedule to number all main bathroom doors as 4 very easily by sorting by ‘door opening into’ room parameter

I know this example might not be practical for your example, but I thought it might be useful... If you can find a system which gives you a manageable amount of manual numbering....

Cheers,

Mark

*I wouldn’t actually use Mark in this example, because I’d get warnings about duplicates. 

Message 16 of 31
danezeq

Thanks

I am just not sure i understand: for AUTO-numbering (that is: one click that fill in all "mark" column in all lines) - Must i use dynamo?

Message 17 of 31
Mark.Ackerley

For Auto-numbering you must use Dynamo 🙂

But sometimes auto means more effort than manual.

Best of luck 🙂

Mark

P.S I am very happy to help you with Dynamo, perhaps post a test rvt and Dyn?

Message 18 of 31
danezeq

Yes - for now I just do it manually.

Message 19 of 31
danezeq

Is it possible to use the ID for reach element instead of mark, and schedule it?

Message 20 of 31
danezeq

ok if not - just a simple trick that will randomly fill all "mark" fields with chronological numbering. that will be fair enough for now.

help please 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report