Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import text AutoCAD Content Into Revit

50 REPLIES 50
Message 1 of 51
Anonymous
6436 Views, 50 Replies

Import text AutoCAD Content Into Revit

I am trying to import specific information from Auto cad into Revit .  Whether I use the link method or the import method I seem to only get the title block sheet.  I need to get is done today so the faster you can respond to me the better.  Please note I am not very skilled in Auto cad 

Thank you

50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

It's not secret. Around here it's been common practice for years. Also, it's quite easy to tell that a file has been exported.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

To the (ACAD) experts eye, perhaps.  But I don't consider anyone who can't layer correctly, or a client to be an expert...lol.  They just want backgrounds or record dwgs.  So no complaints, so far.  

Message 43 of 51
Anonymous

Generally it is a matter of speed. How fast do you want it?

Message 44 of 51
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry.  I was referring to a previous post.  But copy and paste from paperspace will leave leave a shape with no text.  The key is is to copy from modelspace.. And then paste into revit.  I hate going back and forth to acad.  And converting those shx text fonts.  Yuck!  and no BAMM!

No problem. 

I not following what else you are saying though. Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry. I meant copy the contents within text editor. There is no difference between Model Space and Paper Space text editors. Then paste the contents into an active Revit text editing session.  It will be converted to the text being used in that session; a TTF. No difference than pasting without formatting into Microsoft Word.  I would strongly discourage using the DWG note blocks themselves in Revit. 

Message 45 of 51
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

To the (ACAD) experts eye, perhaps.  But I don't consider anyone who can't layer correctly, or a client to be an expert...lol.  They just want backgrounds or record dwgs.  So no complaints, so far.  

I said it's common practice. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I used to set-up backgrounds and .dwgs exported from Revit are far superior to what most firms produce within AutoCAD. Revit doesn't have a choice but to follow the standards set with the export settings. The only complaint I ever had was that most of the people doing the export did not know how to get all of the information we needed. There was no quality control. It didn't take me long to get sick of asking for the missing information, so I would insist on getting the model and do the export myself. The background cleanup process was much faster with the Revit exported files.

BTW, most AutoCAD users would recognize some the idiosyncrasies that Revit produces. It doesn't take an expert.

Rob

Message 46 of 51
RobDraw
in reply to: barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

I meant copy the contents within text editor. There is no difference between Model Space and Paper Space text editors. 

One needs to know how to use the Revit text editor and the OP said he did not know how to generate text. This thread may not even exist if he did. How long does it take to type those notes compared to failing with all other methods and then using some sort of round about workaround?

Rob

Message 47 of 51
Anonymous

Good point.  I like your method better than mine.  So slapping it into a text editor cleans the text.  Nice!

Message 48 of 51
Anonymous

Good point.  Working from Revit for cleanup (or otherwise) is so much more efficient. 

Message 49 of 51
barthbradley

@RobDraw wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I meant copy the contents within text editor. There is no difference between Model Space and Paper Space text editors. 

One needs to know how to use the Revit text editor and the OP said he did not know how to generate text. This thread may not even exist if he did. How long does it take to type those notes compared to failing with all other methods and then using some sort of round about workaround?

If you have got a tens of sheets of notes to reproduce in Revit, I'd much prefer copying over recreating.  If fact, I might even prefer Margaret's OCR method over doing notes from scratch. HA! 

Message 50 of 51
pugpop

That doesn't work. Why? I don't know. I should. That would be too simple. But alas, that is what Revit does best, make it hard than it should.

Message 51 of 51
pugpop

Maybe you should try it yourself and see for yourself that it doesn't work. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators