Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import text AutoCAD Content Into Revit

50 REPLIES 50
Message 1 of 51
Anonymous
7339 Views, 50 Replies

Import text AutoCAD Content Into Revit

I am trying to import specific information from Auto cad into Revit .  Whether I use the link method or the import method I seem to only get the title block sheet.  I need to get is done today so the faster you can respond to me the better.  Please note I am not very skilled in Auto cad 

Thank you

50 REPLIES 50
Message 21 of 51
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

...CTRL-C, CTRL-V. 

Message 22 of 51
RobDraw

It's a sad day in the forums if we have to explain how to do simple text editing.

I was actually suggesting the OP check for standard procedures regarding setting up views and test types. I did not know that he actually didn't know how to create text in Revit.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 23 of 51
Anonymous

Wasn't working.

Message 24 of 51
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Wasn't working.

Can you elaborate? What wasn't working? 

You need to open the DWG file that actually contains the text you want to copy. You're going to paste that copied text into the Revit text editor. Understand? 

Message 25 of 51
Anonymous

I got it done .
Message 26 of 51
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:
I got it done .

via what method? Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V? Or, Importing?

Message 27 of 51
RobDraw

Not even a thank you or a kudo. I thought for sure he would have some sort of comment about me not helping again. A sad day for sure.

Rob

Message 28 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Who is " He"

Message 29 of 51
Anonymous

Scanned it to a pdf applied OCR copied and pasted

Message 30 of 51
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:
Scanned it to a pdf applied OCR copied and pasted

A lot of trouble for a bit of annotation. It's too bad you don't have anyone there to help with the easy stuff.

Rob

Message 31 of 51
barthbradley

Margaret: Are you serious? 

Message 32 of 51
Anonymous

I really hate you guy had to give that guy a hard time about copying and pasting.  My guess is he was trying to do it from paperspace.  All he needed to do was copy and paste it from paperspace to modelspace.  And then link it to revit in a detail view.  BAMM!  done (easy...peasy)

10 years of 2D drafting 

20 years of Revit

Old fart

Message 33 of 51
barthbradley

@Anonymous: I didn't give Margaret a bad time at all.  I helped her. I don't understand how my posts could be interpreted any differently.   As far as for what she was trying to do: she was trying to extract some text notes from an AutoCAD file. Ham-stringed by an unfamiliarity with AutoCAD, she accomplished the task using an unconventional method -- essentially to do exactly what I suggested: COPY & PASTE. 

...I'll add too, that it wouldn't have been "BAMM" after Linking or Importing the DWG, because the font she showed in her screenshot was an SHX. She would have had to map it to a TTF Windows font and that would have probably screwed up the formatting.  So, the best approach IMO is Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, from DWG to RVT.   

Message 34 of 51
Anonymous

I confessed early that I am not very familiar AutoCAD. I only know that
you can mess it up if you don't used the layer system right. I didn't do the
originals drawings. In the as long I got the results I don't care. Thanks
for the info now I am going to learn some AutoCAD I have been doing
Revit since 2006.

Message 35 of 51
Anonymous

Thank you. As long as it get's done

Message 36 of 51
Anonymous

Sorry.  I was referring to a previous post.  But copy and paste from paperspace will leave leave a shape with no text.  The key is is to copy from modelspace.. And then paste into revit.  I hate going back and forth to acad.  And converting those shx text fonts.  Yuck!  and no BAMM!

Message 37 of 51
Anonymous

Precisely!   "As long as it gets done" I have had 100's of files from autocad that I did not originate.  It sucks working with other peoples standards.  Thank god for Revit.  I have not use Autocad for production since 1996.  And people still send me "mucked up" acad files.  I'm having so much fun now with Revit.

Message 38 of 51
Anonymous

My one experience with AutoCAD was with an intern, who was a slacker. After
he left the firm and the profession, my next intern spent a lot of time
cleaning up his mess. I can't wait for the day when Clients demand Revit

Message 39 of 51
Anonymous

Shhhh!  For those clients and consultants who need autocad files.  I usually do it in Revit and export an acad file using their standards.  They never know the difference.  Shhhh!  (You didn't hear that from me) 🙂

Message 40 of 51
Anonymous

I have done that too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report