Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import fbx file in revit

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
126460 Views, 25 Replies

Import fbx file in revit

Hi,

I'm pretty new in revit. I have fbx that created from infraworks, and need to open it in naviswork.

How I can open fbx file in revit? To which format file I should convert so Revit can open the fbx file? I need to assign reference coordinate to fbx file before I open in navisworks.

Thanks
Dana
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Sahay_R
in reply to: Anonymous

You don't.

However you can import your FBX into 3DS Max and re-export it out as a DWG or DXF. Revit will then be able to import the file.

Even better news - NavisWorks will do it directly for you. Just go into Append and FBX is one of the options offered.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Sahay_R

Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I was having the same issue. For a project I needed to insert a FBX file into Revit (it was converted geometry). Export in 3D studio to DWG resulted in far too big dwg's. This could be on my end for not being fully familiar with 3D studio. I found this workaround which worked for me, though it is far from optimal and requires the use of multiple software.

Load the FBX into AutoCAD MEP or Architecture. The use of one of these 2 verticals of AutoCAD is vital, as vanilla AutoCAD doesn't support export to IFC.

After loading the FBX into AutoCAD, you can export it to IFC.

This IFC can be linked to your Revit Project via the manage links.

This workflow works for everything you can load into AutoCAD.

If export to IFC doesn't work (or if you don't have the AutoCAD MEP or Architecture available) you can always go for the Save to DWG and then link or import the DWG to your Revit, though this isn't considered as best practice.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous

Great! Thanks.

Message 5 of 26
hanslammerts

Workarounds becoming 'solutions ..

business as usual

@Anonymous

This format has been around since 1996

wiki

"In 1996, Kaydara released a new native file format with Filmbox 1.5 called FBX, which used an object-based model, allowing for the storing of motion, along with 2D, 3D, audio, and video data. The format saw wider support from other 3D software packages such as Cinema 4D, SoftImage 3D, PowerAnimator, LightWave 3D and 3D Studio MAX. .."

And "Autocad only"

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 26
DarrenP
in reply to: hanslammerts

starting with Autocad 2019 you can no longer import or export fbx files

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 26
hanslammerts
in reply to: DarrenP

One more reason to stick to a permanent licence and look for something else at the same time. ('support' given for four previous versions at the same time. The way of solving problems autodesk ways)

Message 8 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: hanslammerts

Did you have anything that is actually helpful to add?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 26
hanslammerts
in reply to: RobDraw

The helpful part can be read between the lines. “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.”  Make anything, ..yeah Right..

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

please can somebody convert a 3ds file to anything that i can use it into revit because i really need something and cant find it in revit in anywhere

@Sahay_R wrote:

You don't.

However you can import your FBX into 3DS Max and re-export it out as a DWG or DXF. Revit will then be able to import the file.

Even better news - NavisWorks will do it directly for you. Just go into Append and FBX is one of the options offered.

Message 11 of 26
rbeaumontL648B

"

Load the FBX into AutoCAD MEP or Architecture. The use of one of these 2 verticals of AutoCAD is vital, as vanilla AutoCAD doesn't support export to IFC.

After loading the FBX into AutoCAD, you can export it to IFC."

Sorry @Anonymous but I don't be able to import fbx into autocad mep. Import command (inside an opened drawing)  imports

3ds, sat, exp, igs, iges, ipt, iam, jt, wmf, dgn, prt, pdf, prt, neu, 3dm, asm, ste, step.

neither fbx nor obj files

What I'm doing wrong?

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: rbeaumontL648B

You're probably not doing anything wrong, but Autodesk removed FBX import and export from AutoCAD 2019 products and up. So either you will need to use an older version, or use 3DS.

More information can be found here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/autocad-2019-removed-fbx-import-and-export/td-p/7904421

Message 13 of 26
hanslammerts

Or switch to BricsCAD 3D. Fully FBX DWG and IFC compatible. Bye bye Autodesk 

Message 14 of 26
Simen3CA6T

I would really like it if either 3dsmax could export to Adsk or revit could read fbx files.. just a suggestion

Message 15 of 26
DarrenP
in reply to: Simen3CA6T

there  are idea stations for both products here: 

3ds max: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/idb-p/164

revit: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/idb-p/302

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 16 of 26
hanslammerts
in reply to: DarrenP

Next to the trashcan

Message 17 of 26
zs-17

Hi

How to load the file in AutoCAD 2017?

Regards

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

Thank you.

@ Autodesk you going to leave us with this hack or actually make your tools interoperable like your marketing videos say they are? This company is bull****, prices go up and the tools don't get better. Paying customers have to patch the holes to make it work.

Message 19 of 26
erik.lindstromEAPE6

Hello,

I had the same problem and found this thread. I did solve this by using a plugin from Codemill named IFC Exporter.

With that I could choose which models I wanted to export as a IFC directly from navis

https://apps.autodesk.com/NAVIS/en/Detail/Index?id=5575831510149644553&appLang=en&os=Win64&autostart...

Message 20 of 26
hanslammerts

If you want to make FBX

try BricsCAD Shape. Quicker, better, free

https://www.lammerts-engineering.nl/bricscad-shape/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report