Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make this kind of shape?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1409 Views, 12 Replies

How to make this kind of shape?

This shape is made in Sketch up.But I can not figure out how to make it in the revit.

2.jpg1.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Eduardo2012
in reply to: Anonymous

Pretty easy as a mass.

1.-Open a new conceptual mass.

2.-Go to the south elevation and create an inclined reference plane. This plane will have the incline angle of your top ellipse. Give this plane a name, such as "incline"

Ellipses-0.JPG

3.-Go to your 3D view and draw an ellipse "model line", make sure you specify "Level 1" as your work plane in the green options bar.

4.-Then do the same but specify "incline" as your work plane.

5.-Check your 3D view and Now you have the horizontal and the iclined ellipses

Ellipses-1.JPG

6.-Select both ellipses and choose "Create Form"

Ellipses-2.JPG

Ellipses-3.JPG

Message 3 of 13
constantin.stroescu

another method could be using a Solid Form and a substracted Void Form..as shown in my screencast:

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
schlueter

Hi,

let me join this topic with another shape.

I want to make a model of the Arturo Alvarez Kite light. I already tried to model it the way @constantin.stroescu mentioned.

Generic Model with Solid Form and a substracted Void Form.

2016-06-23_10h51_00.jpg

But i nevert get a nice smooth surface. I always have those edges in it.

Than i tried conceptual mass like @Eduardo2012 mentioned. I thought its similar modelling like rhino or 3ds but i don't get very far.

First i made some referenc points and draw a spline on them. Than i created the forms on the spline. Got a nice Shape but now i dont know how to cut the edges. I need some kind of trim command but thats maybe not the way like revit works.

2016-06-23_11h03_15.jpg

2016-06-23_11h05_07.jpg

How would you do it?

Greetings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falls es dein Problem gelöst hat, kannst du auch gerne auf den Button "Als Lösung akzeptieren" klicken.
Message 5 of 13

It could be done also by using sphere cuted with Voids ...something like in my example....of course you ca use more parameters...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
RDAOU
in reply to: schlueter

@schlueter

The above is more like simple massing...what you have is a step higher on the scale of complexity. Of course you can simplify it down to basic geometries but then your options would be limited...example: a cube cut by and inverse cone from the top and an inverse half sphere from the bottom. But then no matter how many parameters you add the final geometry will be limited to those geometries

Personally I would would use parametric wireframes. Convert the geometry into a skeleton and guided paths which can be translated into reference lines in Revit. Something similar to what has been posted on THIS POST HERE

Regardless; I wouldn't classify that lamp under geometries SIMILAR to that of the original post above 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 13
schlueter

Thanks for the reply.

@constantin.stroescu

Haven't tought of that. But the shape is asymmetrical. So i think theres no chance with the sphere. But its another nice way for simple shapes.

@RDAOU

"Regardless; I wouldn't classify that lamp under geometries SIMILAR to that of the original post above "

First i thought this must be easy. But the more i try to creat this shape it gets more and more frustraiting. Ok i think i need some more revit training. 😞

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falls es dein Problem gelöst hat, kannst du auch gerne auf den Button "Als Lösung akzeptieren" klicken.
Message 8 of 13
RDAOU

@schlueter

It's not that hard just need a little bit of imagination.

One could produce a screencast with the basic construction...I unfortunately cannot do it today! I still have 90 mins drive to get back to Bremen and not sure I will be in the mood for Reviting...

You would still need to post ur question under a new thread since it's not related to the above OP 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 13
chrisplyler

Instead of making the top with two crossing lines, make it with three parallel lines. Same for the bottom. Then add splines to the vertical corners and the four edges that don't yet have them, and make your side forms from the rectangles these form.

Then you can control your smoothed shape however you like. You could put in reference planes and constraints and parameters if you wanted.

Message 10 of 13

this is your file ......cuted with Voids....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

Developing the method exposed by Chrisplyler and RDAOU , you can make a Family with parameters that control the geometry of the velum...as in my following screencast.

Anyway this method becomes more complicated if you want to have a Spherical Cap....in this case I will use a sphere cut with Voids ....as in my first post...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
RDAOU
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Well since you guys seem to be persistant lol... What I had in mind or what i was refering to is something as follows.

lamp.png

Message 13 of 13
schlueter
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks guys...

I appreciate your support. Looks awesome.

I tried some of your ways but i rly think i need more training with this kind of modelling. Looks so easy when you do it but i dont get it to work properly.

Need to book some lessons. Lets see what our cadtrainer can teach us 😄

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report