Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete an imported CAD file from My revit Project

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Stephm419
110695 Views, 25 Replies

How do I delete an imported CAD file from My revit Project

I am working in a Revit 2015 project.

When I went to the Visibility Graphics dialogue box under Imports, there are 15 CAD files.

How do I get rid of them?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
RDAOU
in reply to: Stephm419

Hello @Stephm419

There are several solutions depending on how they were brought in to Revit (Import or Link)

• If Links...You can go to Manage > Manage Project > Manage Links Then Unload and Remove as desired
  • If imports
    1. Unless they have been exploded, you can simply select the imported dwg and click delete...
    2. If they have been exploded, you can use "window select" to select everything in the model and then use the filter option to select only the CAD remains...However; in such case you will still have a lot of cleaning up to do. The imported DWGs might or will leave some Line Patterns, Line Styles, Fill Patterns and other elements. (This is the main reason many resort to LINK DWG, instead of IMPORT.
  • Additionally Use Purge Unused at least once (if not x2 and x3 times) to make sure all got purged out

Additional solutions:

Go to Autodesk App Store and download/install Model Review and install it. You don't need to set it up to do anything special

1. use any of the default templates that detect imports.
  2. Export to html or to Excel ...or just copy paste the html to Excel (whichever you are more comfortable with.
  3. Format offending element IDs with ";" separators
  4. Paste into Manage > Select by IDs
  5. That will select all > then click delete.
  6. Use Purge Unused again 2 or 3 times to make sure all got purged out

If the above helps; kindly mark this reply Accept as Solution... KUDOS are also welcomed (Only if the above helps)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 26
Stephm419
in reply to: RDAOU

As I said they are Imported not links.

I know that the better method is links, but the current situation is imported.

The dwg is not visible in the view. It is just in the Visibility Graphics box.

I will try to find the Model Review

Message 4 of 26
RDAOU

I don't have the model in hand to check; in such case the reply is general and gives all solutions possible (at least the ones I know of).

And since this forum aims at helping others rather than just individuals; the info that doesn't apply to your model might work for others who are having the same or similar issues

Good luck with Model Review; it's under subscription enhancements/add-ins but it's free for students

Sent from my iPhone

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 26
shandapapin

I figured it out sorry if Im wayyyy late, but to help others I will answer. Turns out its very simple. If you haven't deleted the CAD import yet and you can select it please do. Then in the tabs above there is an option to "delete layers", click it. Then select all the layers of your selections and boom all gone.I checked my object styles to be sue, and the layers are all on so is the dwg 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Since we are spamming this post with ads....and the person posting it has a very funky username....   I totally suggest Ideate Explorer.  It does quite a bit unique functions, but killing off imported DWG's has to be my favorite tool.  

(BTW, I am not affiliated with Ideate...It's just one of the many add-ins on my ribbon currently...unlike user above that seems to be affiliated with rv-boost or revitboost dot com, answering questions 4 years later on posts)

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

Had the same issue with tracking imported DWGs. In my defence, it’s not my model!

For those still looking for a solution, I’m afraid you will need an addin. This is because Revit will convert each DWG you import into a family instance. To define this instance, it will also generate a family type, which is what we see under VG > Imported Categories and one day will desperately try to delete!

Here’s the issue: to remove the family type of a DWG, we need to find and delete all of its instances in the model, then Purge Unused. This is easier said than done in big models with hundreds of views like mine!

Previous posts suggested addins to speed up this process. The one mpwuzhere mentioned is an extensive set of tools & I was looking for a long term simple solution without paying that much, so tried Model Review instead (Thanks RDAOU!). However, even Model Review didn’t help me much because I wanted to purge SOME, not ALL imported DWGs! I also needed to visually check each DWG in its view before deciding to remove it.

Ended up using DWG Explorer because it does exactly what I need. It also allows directly deleting DWG types from Imported Categories!

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=3030640795772631843&appLang=en&os=Win64

Does anyone have a better solution?

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

Manage> Purge Unused > [Check None] Scowl down to the Dwg's and expand the list. Tick the Dwg's you wish to be removed and OK

Message 9 of 26
IAA-SCO

This is the best sollution!! Thanks for that.... And for the guys how try to trick me on buying (expensive) tools: Keep on trying. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: IAA-SCO

@IAA-SCO wrote:

This is the best sollution!!

It should be the first thing to try but what happens if the imported items are still being used?

@IAA-SCO wrote:

And for the guys how try to trick me on buying (expensive) tools: Keep on trying.

Those guys aren't out to get you. They are offering legitimate solutions for an issue that can cause some significant problems.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 26
IAA-SCO
in reply to: RobDraw

Wasn't that just the point?! Smiley Frustrated That when deleted they still show up in the visibilitysettings??

Therefore is this the perfect solution, without spending money. 

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

If you still require any of the Imported Files to remain in the Model, then don't 'Tick' them before you Purge.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous

Go to 3D view, select the imported file and delete. All files will show up, including 2D files. Turn off all revit links to insure you can select the correct files to be deleted.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous

In my case, when I run CAD Files Explorer it only detects the CAD Type, not the instance. I can't find any CAD instance in my project, but it shows on VG. If I try to delete the CAD Type on CAD File Explorer, Revit does not allow. Does anyone know how to delete the CAD Type?

Message 15 of 26
IAA-SCO

When they are still in use, then you can delete them in the view(s) where they are visible....

My point on the tools: Why spend money, when there is a good en free solution.... 😇

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: IAA-SCO

The problem is that I can't see any DWG on Purged Used. I'm all about using free solutions until I have no option. It's really weird what is going on in my project. The consequence of that invisible DWG is that it was way bigger than may project (area, not file size) and it's causing some reference placement issues.
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

So you can see the Dwg and select it ? Is it in a Linked Model ?
Can you not create a new 3D View, turn on Everything, window select and find the Dwg in Filters ?
Message 18 of 26
LyleHardin

Same issues here. There are lots of dwgs imported into our model. I cannot see them in any view, even a 3D view where everything is turned on. They don't show up on the Purge list. They are not linked. I cannot figure out how to get rid of them. These are in our Template. Grrr.

Idea, now... I'll have to check all the Detail Views. Yuck. I bet that's it. I'll let you know.

Message 19 of 26
RobDraw

When a template gets lousy with imports, it's time to rebuild. It's actually recommended to rebuild your template(s) periodically for a number of reasons.  Cleaning out junk not being the least of them.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 20 of 26
IAA-SCO
in reply to: LyleHardin

.... And don't forget your legends and groupes.... This solved it for me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report