Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a fine-meshed raster ceiling?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kristian
374 Views, 9 Replies

How do I create a fine-meshed raster ceiling?

Hi

I want to create a raster ceiling with about 100x100 millimeter squares but I can't figure out the proper way to do this.

This is what I've come up with so far - I created a Roof instead of a Ceiling and then I chosed "Sloped Glazing" as the type. I then modified the mullions to fit my needs, they are 25x40 millimeters. I also changed the Curtain Panel to "Empty". All good so far but the problem begins when I try to set the fixed distance to 100 mm as the ceiling itself is 20x80 meters. Revit tells me that the maximum gridlines of 200 is exceeded and tells me to split the affected walls(?) "if I really need this many type driven grid lines".
I totally understand this problem and I'm sure there must be a much better way to do this... But how?? 
Thanks in advance.

PXL_20211027_114156998.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RDAOU
in reply to: kristian

@kristian 

Logically speaking, if you were to execute such a ceiling (20 x 80 meters!!), you would split it into several parts with control/Expansion joints. Hence, do it that way using slopped glazing 

OR use 2 Beam Systems as per below GIF

Beam System 2.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 10
kristian
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU 

Thank you very much.

I tried to split it up in 15x15 meter parts just to see if it worked and it did. I will test the beam system idea as well (why didn't I think of that in the first place? 😆)

I found this: https://www.bimobject.com/en/barwa-system/product/open_cell which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I can't figure out how to use it though. I'm pretty new to Revit.

Message 4 of 10
RDAOU

It is an easy thing to model why would you want to look for 3rd party families?!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 10
kristian

As I said - I'm new to Revit and I like to explore many different solutions just to learn the best way to face a problem. Yes it may be easy to model up but next time it may be not so easy.
I was just curious to know how that 3rd party family was meant to be implemented. Nothing more, nothing less.
Trying a beam system now...

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

@kristian wrote:

As I said - I'm new to Revit and I like to explore many different solutions just to learn the best way to face a problem. Yes it may be easy to model up but next time it may be not so easy.
I was just curious to know how that 3rd party family was meant to be implemented. Nothing more, nothing less.
Trying a beam system now...

It is just a generic model created from importing 3d geometry from another application into the Revit family as freeform elements.  There are some materiality and product data, but they are not parametric in terms of geometry. 

ToanDN_0-1637176456078.png

If you are doing design then use beam systems or sloped glazing for flexibility.  Both sloped glazing and beam system have member quantity limits so simply create your very large design from composition of smaller areas.

Message 7 of 10
kristian
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you!
Message 8 of 10
kristian

I made two beam systems and it worked pretty well except that it for some reason skips one small area and I can't figure out why..? If I change the boundary it skips other areas and create new "holes" randomly. (Maybe it's just too much for my computer to handle...)

Also. Is there a better way to draw this ceiling - preferrably a way to make it lighter and not so complex? How would you draw this? Any ideas? There just have to be a better way...

Message 9 of 10
RDAOU

@kristian 

Yeah there is an easier and much lighter version

• Ceiling + Material Cutout

Message 10 of 10
kristian

@RDAOU 

Funny... I was just reading about Cutouts, as we speak. 😁

Will try that instead. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators