Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I build this type of chair in revit?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
abran1
2734 Views, 5 Replies

How do I build this type of chair in revit?

I am an interior design student and I was wondering how I would build this type of a chair. I had little trouble with the framing, however I don't know how to create the top part as it is more organic.

Here is the chair:

5026-S2.jpg

I tried the revit massing environment, but due to the chair size, the lines tend to be thicker when I draw any types of lines to create a form in revit massing environment. I know it can be done somehow because the bernhardt collection offers some revit models that tend to be organic such as this one.

Anne_PM.jpg

There is also an attachment following.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
abran1
in reply to: abran1

Sorry for the double post.

Message 3 of 6
ToanDN

Type TL to switch to thin line mode when you draw so you don't see the line weights. As for modelling those, it will be quite a challenge. It can be done but not as easy as using Rhino or 3d Max.

I suspect the Revit families they provide have the model imported from one of those programs, and not natively done in Revit.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Sahay_R

What was interesting was the fact that the geometry was broken into parts and each part was editable, but I didn't see any void objects for the curves and cuts. 

Actually 3DS Max would be the way to go to model these. As long as you remember that when brought into Revit these families will be 'dumb' then you should be fine. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 6
abran1

I thought this could be done in revit dynamo but I'm not sure.

Message 6 of 6
Viveka_CD

Hi @abran1

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!Smiley Happy

That is an interesting chair! Thanks for sharing the model. Are you working on a theme for your project?

Editing the Bernhardt_Design-Chair is not the best option, I tried editing the profile of the arm of the chair (see pic below) and there is a possibility where you can add a shape to the arm and extrude, but creating a new extrusion from scratch is the best thing and original.

design chair.JPG

Yes, you can use a mass to create the form, how you divide the form surfaces determines the framing shape. Here is some information on creating conceptual masses:

1. Open a new family using a Mass or Generic Model Adaptive template. (use a mass.rft)
  2. Sketch the points, lines, and 2D shapes that will comprise the 3D form.
  3. Extrude the 2D geometry into a form.
  4. (Optional) Divide form surfaces to prepare the form for components
  5. (Optional) Apply parametric components.
  6. Load the conceptual mass into a project.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators