Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth Terrain in Revit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
9154 Views, 8 Replies

Google Earth Terrain in Revit

hello, I´m looking for a way to import google earth view in revit like its possible in civil 3d?

i found many information about, but nothing were helping for my issue.

i read something about globe link, but i cant find a download. who could help me?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
atobiasz
in reply to: Anonymous

Global Link is no longer available as a download for free. You need to be a subscription member since 2013 versions came live.

If you are a subscription member you need to download and install it. Then under the "Add-Ins" tab you will see external tools. Select "Acquire from Google Earth" and the rest should fall in line. Note that you must have google earth running at the same time. This tool will basically copy paste and scale what it sees on google earth and plug it in as a black and white picture in your file.

If you do not have subscription you will have to get google earth free. Find the area you like to use and print a picture or pdf. Link that picture in your revit file and scale it based on the scale that usually comes with a google earth print. a little bit more manual but this way you can also have it in color.

----------------------------
Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Take a look at Vasari--it automatically inserts the Google image and you can see it in 3D view--which you cannot in Revit.

Vasari is a version of Revit that only contains Conceptual Massing and Energy Analysis Tools.

It saves .rvt files, so you can use it seamlessly with Revit--but remember it ONLY models Masses/Mass Families.

But the Google import is very easy and nice to have.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I like the idea of the API but has anyone been able to import the terrain from GE to create a toposurface?

I'd hate to have to blow the dust of my old AutoCAD to accomplish this ...

Ian

Message 5 of 9
atobiasz

One way of getting a terrain surface from GE into Revit is using Google Sketchup. I am not sure if it is a supported feature in the Sketchup Free version but in Sketchup Pro you can insert a GeoLocation wich inserts a terrain into you sketchup file. Export the file to autocad and Link it into Revit (no autocad required). This way you can create a toposurface in Revit using the terrain layer.

Actually I think Sketchup Free does not support AutoCAD exports. The Pro Version is required for this.

----------------------------
Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi there,

I feel like a bit of an idiot - I've only just started using Revit and everywhere I see even under help in Revit 2013 is this mysterious "Add-Ins" TAB which for the life of me I can't find....

When referring to "Add-Ins" TAB does that just mean like "LANDCADD", "Extensions", Revit Express Tools" etc tabs that appear after installing extensions or addins?

Or should there be an actual TAB labeled "Add-Ins"? If so why isn't mine showing up?

Thanks for any assistance on this 🙂

MM

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Revit 'Add In' Tab won't be available/visible until you install at least one add-in software.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Ok but I have installed about 5 addins already and I don't see the "Add-Ins" tab, I just see specific tabs for each addin I have installed ie LANDCADD tab, Extensions tab etc....

Message 9 of 9
Base12

If you have a paid (pro) version of Sketchup you can do it rather easily by the following steps.  If you don't have Sketchup Pro, you can get a 30-day free trail that might just get your project done at least.  This may sound complicated but if you know how to use Sketchup and Revit pretty well already this won't be difficult at all.

In Sketchup:

New file

File --> Geo-Location --> Add Location

Enter coordinates, address, etc. and select the area you want, click "Select Region" and then "Import"

Note: By default the tag (layer) for the 3D object (Location Terrain) is turned off, so all you see is the flat version (Location Snapshot).  Turn the Terrain tag on, and the Snapshot tag off.

File --> Export --> 3D Model, select .DWG file type and select which characteristics you want. (this is the secret sauce because .dwg is only available in the trial, or paid versions)

In Google Earth Pro (log in with your Google Account if prompted)

Zoom to the location you entered in Sketchup Geo-Locate

In the Layers panel (bottom left corner by default) turn off all the clutter, places, roads, etc.

File --> Save --> Save Image, and a little tool bar shows up under the top tool bar.

Select "Maximum Resolution" --> Save Image

In Revit:

Manage --> Materials

In the material editor find an existing material that is very simple, like a paint color or something without any spectral aspects, bump maps, etc. but has an image on the Generic table under Appearance (this part is important).  Select the material, right-click, and select "Duplicate Material and Assets", and rename it to something easy to find later.

Select the new material, then the Appearance tab, then click whatever image was there before and browse to the file you saved from Google Earth.  Make sure all of the boxes are un-checked (Reflectivity, Bump, Tint, etc.).

Don't worry about the sample size yet, we'll come back to that.

Go to or create and open a 3D view in Revit.

Insert --> Link CAD, change file type to .DWG and browse to the file you exported from Sketchup.  By default the units should be inches, but you may have to experiment a little to make sure it comes in at the right size you intend.

Create a Toposurface (v2023) or Toposolid (v2024) by selecting the imported .DWG object.

Once you create the Topo object, delete the imported .DWG object (or plan on hiding it everywhere).

Go to a plan view that shows the entire toposurface and measure it in both X and Y directions.  Write it down.

Go back to your material editor and open your new material you made.

On the Appearance tab, click the thumbnail of your image and it will open the Texture Editor.  If not already expanded, click "Transforms" to show Position, Scale, etc.  In the Scale field, you want to de-select the icon that locks the proportions (looks like links of chain).  Now enter the X Y dimensions you got from previous step.  Click done/Ok, etc. to get back to your model.

Select the Toposurface/solid and in the properties window find "Material" and click the "..." and find your material you just made in the Material Editor.

Change your Graphic Display Options to "Realistic" and you should see the image "draped" onto your terrain.

The attached image is rendered in Enscape, but the image also shows nicely on the terrain just fine in Revit as well.

I hope this helps someone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators