Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facilities Management in Revit

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
AidanHawkins
1024 Views, 22 Replies

Facilities Management in Revit

Hi Guys

I am working with a Facilities Management department for an office building that want to use Revit and not any other pluggin for Facilities Managment..

Anyone have any suggestions how I will show occupants.. Is it crazy to have actual people in revit and move them around from one office to another

I am open to suggestions

Regards

Aidan

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: AidanHawkins

Consider if those 2 people already have Revit and know how to use it. If so, it can be done. If not, I'd look for a more appropriate FM software. Maybe they already have an FM software? 

I think we answered if it can be done in Revit and gave some ideas. It is up to the users to decide if Revit is the best tool. It all depends.....  Ultimately Revit is a very powerful design tool and can be used for edge cases not considered by Autodesk. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 22 of 23
robert2JCCH
in reply to: AidanHawkins

What I am hoping you're referring to when you say 'show occupants' is database management, not moving digital representations of figurines between rooms. While you technically can use entourage as stand-ins for staff, it's cumbersome to physically move elements throughout a model versus having a Room Parameter along the lines of "Staff Member:"

The team members that interact with this model are likely receiving a list that's either 'this is the new comprehensive layout' or 'these rooms specifically change in these ways'. In either case, my hope for something of this scale is that the list actually lives as some type of database or spreadsheet. If that's the case, there are both manual workflows to populate the changes into a model (room schedules) as well as semi-automatic workflows (Dynamo import/export csv data). If that isn't the case, the facilities team still has to manually enter this information into a something - Revit will operate a bit slower than spreadsheet files for data entry but it is technically doable.

You CAN make the model the sole source of information for things like furniture tabulation, room population, etc... but ultimately for anyone outside of the 2 staff members to practically use it, the information needs to get turned (exported) into a schedule, report, or plan. Whereas a spreadsheet of staff members that lives in a directory doesn't require specially trained staff members to extract or update...or view.

Message 23 of 23

I use Revit for this exact reason.  We are a regional health system with multiple buildings that were previously managed in AutoCAD with text.  We have since migrated all buildings over to Revit and created custom key schedules that we use for room function, department, and others.  We are then able to quickly export data / colored plans for any building for use in our finance or other departments.  So, yes, it can be done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report