Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facilities Management in Revit

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
AidanHawkins
900 Views, 22 Replies

Facilities Management in Revit

Hi Guys

I am working with a Facilities Management department for an office building that want to use Revit and not any other pluggin for Facilities Managment..

Anyone have any suggestions how I will show occupants.. Is it crazy to have actual people in revit and move them around from one office to another

I am open to suggestions

Regards

Aidan

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
RSomppi
in reply to: AidanHawkins

@AidanHawkins wrote:

Hi Guys

I am working with a Facilities Management department for an office building that want to use Revit and not any other pluggin for Facilities Managment..

Anyone have any suggestions how I will show occupants.. Is it crazy to have actual people in revit and move them around from one office to another

I am open to suggestions

Regards

Aidan

What kind of facilities management are you talking about?

Also, why not use any add-ins? They can only help streamline processes that can be quite tedious or complicated and help eliminate errors.

Message 3 of 23
AidanHawkins
in reply to: RSomppi

Keeping an updated record of room names, room numbers, departments, occupants in the room, furniture in the room..

What kind of add-ins could be useful for that thanks

Message 4 of 23
RSomppi

I don't do that kind of work but I'm sure there are some that will make those kind of tasks easier. I'm just trying to say that add-ins are not something to just brush aside. Learn your role and develop workflows, then look for add-ins that address what you see as inefficient. In other words, learn to do it in Revit so you know what to look for.

Message 5 of 23
AidanHawkins

Okay thanks

Do you have any suggestions for using People in Revit?

Message 6 of 23
RSomppi

I don't see how they would be useful for anything more than high quality presentation drawings or to visually demonstrate scaling.

Be ready to pay for quality families. The last time I looked for them a few years ago, there wasn't much available for free.

Message 7 of 23
AidanHawkins

yes but can you not see them useful for facilities management. To know what person is in each room...

Or is it best to assign someone to just the desk?

Thanks

Aidan

Message 8 of 23
RSomppi

@AidanHawkins wrote:

yes but can you not see them useful for facilities management. To know what person is in each room...

IMVHO, I don't see it useful at all. Facilities management doesn't usually include people management. You might have roles assigned to areas but not the actual people. In the long run, personnel are more likely to change much more often than furniture and equipment. Tracking people is a job for others but that's a decision for you and your management to make.

Message 9 of 23
HVAC-Novice

You could create a parameter you assign to rooms to show who is in there. 

If keeping track of who is in what office, there sure are better and cheaper options than Revit. Be aware, everyone using that will need a (expensive) license of Revit and kind of needs to know how to use it.

Are those all the facilities management needs? Unusually this includes maintenance, custodial services etc. There are FM specific software. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 10 of 23
barthbradley

@AidanHawkins wrote:

"Actual people". I don't get what you are doing. Almost  sound like a "Traffic" Plan.  😉 

Can you provide more info to help us to help you?  

Message 11 of 23
AidanHawkins
in reply to: barthbradley

Ofcourse

I have a revit model for a facilities management department

The model consists of furniture and rooms

Then, the FM Department team plan to manage any changes to the furniture or room names, numbers and departments by changing them in the revit model

They would like to go a step further by introducing the users of these rooms (the office workers) to the revit model

So they can record and manage their changes in the model

Now I am trying to see if this is possible.

I suggested we have a parameter for the desk furniture that is called (desk user)

but this gets super complicated as most desks are flexible workspaces

I have never seen it done in revit before

Or any books on it

So, maybe it is a job for another program

We already have a desk booking service on teams. Maybe we can enquire to them instead ? and keep them both separate

Regards

Aidan

Message 12 of 23
barthbradley

So, if I understand correctly, there is no Architectural changes being made. This is more about furniture layout and room names.  Is this correct?  

Message 13 of 23
ToanDN

You can add user information to room as parameters and schedule them normally.

Message 14 of 23
AidanHawkins
in reply to: ToanDN

in room identity data?

Message 15 of 23
barthbradley

Furniture can be made Room-Aware.  

About Room-Aware Families | Revit 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

They read Room data from Room Properties.

Message 16 of 23
barthbradley

@AidanHawkins wrote:

They would like to go a step further by introducing the users of these rooms (the office workers) to the revit model

Regarding the above statement: Do you mean the users of the room would actually interact with the Revit model?  If so, to what extent?   

Message 17 of 23
AidanHawkins
in reply to: barthbradley

No, the FM team I am handing the model over to
Message 18 of 23
barthbradley

Got it. 

Message 19 of 23
HVAC-Novice

You want to pay for a Revit license for every office person and let average Joe meddle with the model? Have you looked into what the annual Revit subscription cost per seat? Hint, it cost more per year than some basic nice furniture in a cubicle. 

What type of people are we talking about? I would hesitate to let most architects and engineers I know meddle with my Revit model. Are they supposed to move a cabinet in Revit if they move it within their office? How do yo make sure everyone actually does that in Revit? 

Have the people who had that idea used Revit? 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 20 of 23
AidanHawkins
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

dont think I was clear...

Its just for a small team to use (2 people)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators