Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excavation in Revit

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Ilic.Andrej
5848 Views, 6 Replies

Excavation in Revit

Hello,

In main projects, I usually differentiate regions of earth. Earth needs to be excavated and some types of foundation require earth filling. It is usual to illustrate the excavation in within sections, 1:50 scale...In Revit, what is best for creating regions refilled with earth? What family? To refroze the question, how can I differentiate regions filled with earth from earth that is not going to be excavated? Further on, I need a definition of areas filled with gravel. What is the best way to create those?

My detail.jpg

Thanks in advance

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

I would use detail components.  Are you thinking about modeling them?

Message 3 of 7
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok, here is what I red in "Autodesk Knowledge Network":

"Detail components are line-based 2D elements that you can add to detail views or drafting views. They are visible only in those views."

I'm just trying to understand what is possible but it would be nice to create it as a part of a 3D model. I need to show the shape of the excavation in the whole sections. Like here:

Section.jpg

If its a model, that I assume that it can be used for quantity calculation. If filled earth can't be a 3d model, how can this be drawn in section views?

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 4 of 7
ToanDN

If you create a topography then you can use building pads to excavate.  But building pads only cut the topography straight down, not 45 degree like what you show.  It can be scheduled to report the volumes of cut and fill of earth.  Building pads can also be customized to have layers (gravel, sand bed, concrete, etc...).  I think you would still need detail components to bring the sections up to the level of details you are showing.  

Link to Site Design topics

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

Also, to clarify what you have read, detail components can be placed on any views: plans, elevations, sections, details, and drafting views, with the exception of 3d views. A good set of drawings should be a balance of modeled elements and detail components.
Message 6 of 7
Nole

Hello Andrej!

I would do all such work with detail components - filled region, with it's different types for each hatch, i. e. different part of terrain. If you need volumes of excavated terrain, you should use Civil 3D, not Revit.

Regards,

Небойша НОВКОВИЧ
ООО "Конкуратор", Москва
Активист Сообщества пользователей

Message 7 of 7
Ilic.Andrej

Ok, I've found the best way to do this.

I created "component/ model in-place", then I assigned the new custom material named "Filled Earth" which had cut patterns that I like. I think this is the best way cause when I used "Material TakeOff", I saw the volume of filled earth.

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report