Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to Revit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
glkirk
500 Views, 8 Replies

DWG to Revit

My client has ordered a set of "cad" plans from a home plan company online.

I understand they will be AutoCad DWG files

I use Revit. I used Autocad LT once but only have the 2007 version.

Is there anyone her that can tell how much work it will be for me to convert these DWG files into a good set of house plans to be used for building the home?

My first thoughts are that it would be almost easier to buy the paper set and go from there. 

My client wants to see all the little details that the designer has included in the plan. Seems to me that it will be hard to capture little details by/after importing into revit?

Can anyone give me any thoughts?

Thank you,

Gary

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: glkirk

Hi,

sorry that this is not clear to me...

>> My client has ordered a set of "cad" plans from a home plan company online.

So he has the data as dwg-file (I guess)... 

>> Is there anyone her that can tell how much work it will be for me to

>> convert these DWG files into a good set of house plans to be used

>> for building the home?

The files were already ordered and received from the "home plan company" ... what is now needed, what am I missing? Did the "home plan company" not send plans that can be used?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
pendean

Your post is very muddled, you contradict yourself at least twice from what I can tell.

REVIT can export to DWG anytime you want: in REVIT, click on FILE tab, then EXPORT, then CAD FORMATS then  DWG.

In the pop-up that appears you can choose from 4-options in the EXPORT pulldown, and if you need to more control over what you are exporting then click on the button with three dots in it next to SELECT EXPORT SETUP, here you can control Layers, lines, Text, Units and even create XREFs.

I'm going to ask the Forum Admins to move your post over to the REVIT forum where this belongs since all you use everyday is REVIT, the folks over there can provide you with more feedback and guidance.

Message 4 of 9
glkirk
in reply to: pendean

Please, no need to have it sent to Revit forum. I already have the dilema posted there.

Sorry if I contradicted myself. What I am/was trying to figure out is- what can Revit do with a dwg file created in Autodesk AutoCad?

I think I understand now that it can only be used to trace the "floor plans"  from this complete home building set of plans.

It will be limited in helping me produce elevations, roof and foundation plans. 

I almost think I could take the pdf or paper plans and do just as good a job of reproducing into Revit.

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
pendean

>>>...what can Revit do with a dwg file created in Autodesk AutoCad?...<<<
The REVIT forum folks can help you out with that question.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Yes, Revit can't take DWGs and turn them into a building, you can use them as a reference for the floor plans.  What is the requirement?  If the plans exist then why do you nee to recreate them?  Is the purpose to produce a visualisation?

Message 7 of 9
martijn_pater

You can insert the dwg's by linking the CAD files for your plans (current view only) for each level, etc. I'm guessing the purpose is to go from 2d to 3d, but you would still have to model that based on the set of drawings...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

As for building design and architecture modelling, I believe the recently released MaxiBIM is a good option.

With MaxiBIM you can link DWGs into your Revit Project and create data-rich families by reading the drawing lines and distinguish them by layer, for different element categories. It also provides many gadgets from quick 3D views and modification tools.

See this linked video for a demonstration. MaxiBIM AEC short Demo 

I found this beta stage product promising and you can get it now from MaxiBIM  for early access for free.

Message 9 of 9
s.borello

Link the plans into RVT and draw or model on top of it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators