Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curtain wall vs storefront

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
melissamLCEGA
384 Views, 7 Replies

curtain wall vs storefront

can we get 2 separate family types for storefront and curtainwall? They are different assemblies and approaches. It adds more confusion to our drafting team. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You can establish that standard at your office,. Name glazing types with a prefix: SF- for storefronts and CW- for curtain walls, to differentiate the name of the Revit tool from the name of the architectural element. And give some training to the drafting team to understand the differences between storefront and curtain wall. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8

Yes, I understand I can as a work around, but why not have them both in Revit?
Message 4 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: melissamLCEGA

Curtain wall in Revit is a TOOL. You use it create whatever you want. Curtain walls and storefronts are just two of the applications.

Message 5 of 8

I wish the name of the tool had been neutral, such as "framed panels" or similar. But they called it "curtain wall". I doubt that this is ever, ever, going to change. So, my advice is to ignore that name, and create types with prefixes, and provide training, as I explained above.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 8
melissamLCEGA
in reply to: ToanDN

Then the correct term would be glazed wall assembly (or something similar)
Message 7 of 8
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: melissamLCEGA

Not really. This tool also can be used for non-glazed walls with non-glass panels. For example some sort of cladding wall. 

No name will satisfy all users and applications. Maybe panel-wall is more correct. But then everyone needing a curtain wall will wonder what tool to use.  

I don't know the history. I assume they started with curtain walls and then added storefront features like doors. 

It is a really nice tool..... 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 8 of 8

As a former Revit designer/developer once said to me, "Steve, language is hard"...relative to choosing exactly the right words to name things. They picked Curtain Wall, and we manage to get stuff done. 😉

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report