Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Revit book and Learning Resources

127 REPLIES 127
SOLVED
Message 1 of 128
rock9
103006 Views, 127 Replies

Best Revit book and Learning Resources

what is the best book to learn revit? starting to advanced all commands? i usually learn softwares from the Dummies series. they are really good. on amazon i saw revit - no experienced required, and mastering revit architecture series. which is the best one of them?

127 REPLIES 127
Message 61 of 128
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: Viveka_CD

very kind of you to say.

Dan's books are great too. Highly recommended. 

Paul F Aubin
Author/Consultant

EESignature

Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com

Message 62 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: rock9

Thank you for sharing this!

Message 63 of 128
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 64 of 128
Anonymous

I got the Residential Design Using Autodesk Revit 2019 through Amazon fulfilled by McKenzieBooks.com. It was marked down as a used book but was almost like new. Included a special code on the inside cover that was good for access to a huge amount of instructional videos and extra incomplete chapters and stuff. The chapter on general roof design was almost big enough to be its own book. 

My only complaint is that in general the example homes are based on Midwest practices, not California. So it tends to be kinda frumpy and boxy with a basement. Doesn't have that overdone West Coast too many corners thing, with a few flat roofs and weird stuff.

Message 65 of 128
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

I'll keep an eye out for Revit books with home examples in CA. (Btw I love the homes overlooking the beaches in Malibu)

I see if I can get information from the authors at Autodesk and I'm sure someone in this community will have more feedback on your question and can offer resources.

Regards,

Message 66 of 128
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

I see that your firm specializes in residential design and you have an impressive portfolio 

I was in touch with one of our authors on the Mastering Revit series of books and asked about CA residential design examples referenced in them.

Here's an update:

Mastering Revit series does have a couple of project models for reference, but they are office-style buildings, not specifically residential.

But from another perspective, even if the book does not specifically talk about CA residential design, the ‘style’ you use in your projects (concrete, huge ceiling etc) is similar to office building– just at a larger scale and that’s not very different from the University Center the authors have used for our base content.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Message 67 of 128
Anonymous

Yes, that is our dilemma. Thanks very much for the tip.  

Message 68 of 128
dan.stine

Thanks for buying my book... and I understand your point. I would love to include a design like the one I cover in this Enscape blog post I wrote: https://enscape3d.com/best-practices-video-creation-in-revit-2019/. But there are only so many pages we can fit in the book:) To develop high-end models with detailed materials you may also want to check out my interior design book.

If you Google (image) "California Suburban Homes" there are a lot that look like the project in my book. Plus, we have cool stuff here in the mid-west as well:) In fact, David Salmela, who has received several national AIA honor awards is just a few blocks from my office. https://www.salmelaarchitect.com/

Feel free to connect on LinkedIn if you want to chat... https://www.linkedin.com/in/danstinemn/

Message 69 of 128
Viveka_CD
in reply to: dan.stine

Hi @dan.stine

That's Awesome! Thanks for sharing this information Smiley Happy

Btw I love your blog post.

This will benefit our community seeking similar solutions.

Regards,

Message 70 of 128
Luke.Kemel

What would you consider to be the most useful literature for revit 2019 family creation (.rfa)?

Message 71 of 128
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: Luke.Kemel

There have been a few new features sprinkled into the family editor in recent releases, but not enough to make any existing training resources invalid. So any book or video on family creation from the last several releases would suffice. Several of the ones mentioned in this thread would do quite nicely. 

As a (free) starting point, you can visit: http://www.paulaubin.com/au/ 

Expand the Autodesk University 2017 item and download the paper and dataset for: REVIT FAMILY CREATION: A STEP-BY-STEP INTRODUCTION (JUST FOR BEGINNERS). This will get you started. 

If you want to go beyond that, there are a few other papers at that link that cover more advanced topics (also free) or you can take a deep dive into the family editor with my book Renaissance Revit (not free, and mentioned already in this thread). Or advance to any of the other excellent resources mentioned above. 

Hope that helps. 

Paul F Aubin
Author/Consultant

EESignature

paulaubin.com

Message 72 of 128
dan.stine
in reply to: Paul_F_Aubin

Funny, Paul beat me to it... I was going to suggest his book as well: Renaissance Revit. Not sure if you can get it anymore, but CTC had published a nice Revit family reference book... but that would be a little outdated now. My books have a pretty basic intro to family creation chapter as well.

Message 73 of 128
Luke.Kemel

I appreciate the links, i have printed the free copies you suggested so hopefully they will shine some light and help me discover what i am after.

was the latest version of Renaissance Revit a 2013 publication?

Message 74 of 128
Luke.Kemel

i will take a look, thanks Dan. Im sure there will be a nice PDF of it somewhere.

Message 75 of 128
dan.stine
Message 76 of 128
Viveka_CD

Thank you, @dan.stine and @Paul_F_Aubin

I'm sure @Luke.Kemel and the rest of the community will appreciate your awesome resources! 

Thanks again for sharing!Smiley Happy

Regards,

Message 77 of 128
Paul_F_Aubin

Hi Luke:

It was 2014. 

Thanks. 

Paul F Aubin
Author/Consultant

EESignature

paulaubin.com

Message 78 of 128
Paul_F_Aubin

Thanks Dan. 

Paul F Aubin
Author/Consultant

EESignature

paulaubin.com

Message 79 of 128
Viveka_CD

Hello Dear Community! Heart

Sharing the below for the love of Revit!

I was helping a customer with historic preservation project in Revit 2019 and landed on some awesome tutorials -

his workflow was as follows:

• using new features in Revit 2019, with multi-monitor to visualize the 'older' building and a newer view for side by side comparison and scheduling.
  • uncropped perspectives 
  • Recreating the families and
  • renderings for presentations.

Helpful tools:

HBIM: Historic Building Re-creation

Revit 2019: New Features for Architecture

Revit: Families

Revit for Visualization

Regards,

Message 80 of 128
huyvuvn85

Hi, I am finding books in the advanced level, any suggestions ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report