Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive family

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
wagurto
2776 Views, 28 Replies

Adaptive family

Hi guys please take a look at this image and let me know how can achieve this objective.

thanks

Will

Labels (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
barthbradley
in reply to: wagurto

Host Ref. point to each of the Adaptive Points and then associate their Offset Parameters to a Family Parameter.  Then place four lines connecting all the Points.  

Message 3 of 29
barthbradley

What about just hosting lines to the top of each of the 4 Ref. Plane Work Planes connecting the APs and driving their inset distance with a Parameter. Seems to work well.  

Q2.png

Message 4 of 29
wagurto
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you Bradly for your response, one additional question. In your solutions every parallel line can be move independently?   I need each line to adjust and report their distance.

Message 5 of 29
barthbradley

@wagurto wrote:

Thank you Bradly for your response, one additional question. In your solutions every parallel line can be move independently?   I need each line to adjust and report their distance.

Label each line's dimension to a unique parameter name. Then you can control inset distance per line.  

Notice in my screenshot above that the dimension reads "Q2".  That's the ParamterName that controls the dimension value. You can have Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 for example.  

Message 6 of 29

Did you test that? I suppose the idea is that the user can move the points and the offsets will stay put? I think that is not going to happen by using a dimension to control the offset as shown above.  

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 29

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Did you test that? 

I suspect from your question, not enough. Got a good screenshot out of it though. Ha!  

How would you approach?  

Message 8 of 29
wagurto
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo any suggestion? 

Yes the idea is to be able to move each parallel line individually and have those dimension report it to a schedule.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Message 9 of 29
barthbradley

Did you even build and test what I recommended?   

Message 10 of 29
barthbradley

@wagurto wrote:

Yes the idea is to be able to move each parallel line individually and have those dimension report it to a schedule.

FYI: if you want to report the Parameter's values in a Project Schedule, you need only to make the Parameters SHARED. 

Message 11 of 29
barthbradley

Q1234.png

Message 12 of 29
wagurto

wow this looks very promising. can you share the family or revit files whatever it is?

thanks

Wil 

Message 13 of 29
barthbradley

Message 14 of 29

That does not work. As you can see, the interior lines do not stop at the intersections, and the exterior lines don't stay connected at the corners. As I said in my previous message, unfortunately this does not work with constraining parallel lines with a dimension.

2020-09-30_12-45-29.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 15 of 29

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

That does not work. As you can see, the interior lines do not stop at the intersections, and the exterior lines don't stay connected at the corners. As I said in my previous message, unfortunately this does not work with constraining parallel lines with a dimension.

But that wasn't what the OP asked for.  I understood he just wanted the lines to remain parallel.   Maybe I misunderstood.  Might help if the OP explained what he's doing with it.  I got no clue.  

Message 16 of 29
barthbradley

Parallel.png

Message 17 of 29
wagurto

I guess I am the OP right?  I am trying to do a site plan and the parallel lines represent the setbacks parallel to the property lines. The dimensions will report to the schedule the respective setbacks

I think Bradly solutions my works on this case

thanks guys

Message 18 of 29
wagurto

Bradley how did you do to make the schedule you showed before? Did you make a share parameters?

could explain a little bit that process.

thanks

Will

Message 19 of 29
barthbradley

@wagurto wrote:

Bradley how did you do to make the schedule you showed before? Did you make a share parameters?

could explain a little bit that process.

thanks

Will

Yes.  Shared Parameters.  Open up the family in the Project I posted.  Those "Q" Parameters are Shared and they are pulled from my Shared Parameter Text File.  Pretty simple process.   Have you a Shared Parameter Text File?  It's just a matter of creating a named Parameter of the Length kind in your SP File and pulling it into the Family via "Shared Parameter" in the Family Types dialog box.   

BTW: if  my solution above is viable, please feel free to mark it "Accepted Solution".  

Message 20 of 29
wagurto

Hi Bradley, 

I was analyzing your rvt file and the adaptive component you created and I have some questions if you don't mind.

1-How do you do to make the dimensions visible con the revit file? 

2-I created a share parameters to reflect front, rear, and sides setbacks. I made them instance and reporting parameters but i noticed when i import them to my revit file the dimensions are not longer visible and also the parallel lines are not longer adjustable. They are fixed now.

Could help me to understand what's going on?

thanks

Wil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report