Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive family

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
wagurto
3070 Views, 28 Replies

Adaptive family

Hi guys please take a look at this image and let me know how can achieve this objective.

thanks

Will

Labels (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
wagurto
in reply to: wagurto

Bradley? any suggestions?

Message 22 of 29
barthbradley

@wagurto wrote:

Bradley? any suggestions?

About what? I am not clear what you are asking, or are referring to in your last post (message 20).  Did you download and inspect the RVT I did for you (Message 13)?  

Message 23 of 29
Alfredo_Medina

@wagurto wrote:

1-How do you do to make the dimensions visible con the revit file? 

2-I created a share parameters to reflect front, rear, and sides setbacks. I made them instance and reporting parameters but i noticed when i import them to my revit file the dimensions are not longer visible and also the parallel lines are not longer adjustable. They are fixed now.

Could help me to understand what's going on?

thanks

Wil

Dimensions created in a family won't be visible in a project. These families are driven by points, not by dimensions.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 24 of 29
bin
Advisor

Try this. You will need to redo the shared parameter so you can control the setback from the schedule.

Message 25 of 29
wagurto
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes i did, but when i try to change the dimension to my share parameters files and load it to my revit files the parallel lines do not flex anymore and dimensions are not longer visible on the revit file.
Does why i am asking how do you do the dimensions visible and the lines to flex on the revit file.
thanks
Message 26 of 29
ToanDN

I think you are making it harder then it should be. Property lines and set back are likely a one time deal for each project. What about properties those have more than four points or curved segments?

An adaptive family may sound great in the begining but if you have a hard time making it works then perhaps it is not. As an user you also need to be adaptive, meaning adapt yourself to trying different tools and picking out what suite YOU best, not fixated to one and forcing it to work. Barely at best.

Here is what I would do. Draw the property lines using Property Line tool and draw the setback as another property lines, with setback parameters controlled by global parameters (overkill IMHO). Then you can use filters to control graphics and schedule everything you need.

Message 27 of 29
Alfredo_Medina

@wagurto 

Please read previous comments and advices. You keep expecting to see in your project the dimensions that are created in the family, and expecting to drive the shape by changing values in parameters. It does not work that way, and it has been explained above, but you keep asking or expecting the same, so the discussion is not moving forward. Also, please consider ToanDN's comments above. If you have a very large site with many lots, it makes sense to make an adaptive family with setbacks for each lot. If not, other simpler methods as suggested above would be enough, specially if you're not familar with more advanced methods.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 28 of 29
wagurto
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you guys, i am sorry if i sounded persistent. 
The easier solution would be a dimension object which is able to report its value to a schedule, that's all that i need it. But i think this element does not existing. I appreciate or you comments and help
Wil
Message 29 of 29
Alfredo_Medina

@wagurto wrote:
... a dimension object which is able to report its value to a schedule, that's all that i need it. But i think this element does not existing. ...

@wagurto  Are you really reading messages in this thread? What you need is explained in messages # 11 and 19 above by@barthbradley  and the reason why it works that way and not the way you keep expecting, is explained in other messages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report