Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Toposolid - From Points?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dbroad
2080 Views, 6 Replies

2024 Toposolid - From Points?

In 2023 and before, we could add points and they could be different elevations and the contours would be calculated.  In 2024, after adding boundaries, when adding points, if one point's elevation is changed, all the points change to the same elevation. What's going on?  I can't set independent elevations for points on a toposolid. Does anyone know how? Must I import contours for this to work?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mhiserZFHXS
in reply to: dbroad

No. You can still add points and apply specific elevations to them. I'm not sure why this would be giving you an issue.

Message 3 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

• Must establish a sufficient thickness first.  
  • Can't just add points. Must choose modify sub-elements first.
  • Any attempt to create a point below the base elevation causes an error.

Thanks for your help.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 7
mhiserZFHXS

• Must establish a sufficient thickness first.  - Right. Its a solid now, not a surface. A solid needs depth.
  • Can't just add points. Must choose modify sub-elements first. - The "Add Point" option shows up for me when I select a toposurface. To modify points, yes, you have to select Modify Sub-Elements first. Pretty much everything in Revit works similarly.
  • Any attempt to create a point below the base elevation causes an error. - Again, its a solid now instead of a surface. If you add a point below the base of the solid, there is no geometry for that point to model. If you need a lower point, edit the "structure" of the solid's type to make it thicker.

It'll take some getting used to, as its a new feature, but the issues you're all having are just about learning how it works. There are some more fundamental issues with toposolids I hope they figure out, but none of these are those things.

Message 5 of 7
halltony

i think the toposolid feature is painful. in Australia we work off the Australian Height Datum which is based on the mean sea level which we use as 0 elevation. with a toposurface i could import a cad file with z coordinates & create a toposurface easily or the alternative was to create by placing points across a contour pattern on the site plan. Either way it was efficient. I find now with the toposolid its far more complex than it needs be. So far in my experience with toposolid - if you were to cut into the toposolid for a building pad on a sloping site it seems to pick the average fall line and the building pad is cut out perpendicular to that plane. and it seems to be ineditable once included.  Maybe its just me and having to get used to a new system but i think toposolid is not a worthwhile upgrade to Revit. 

Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: halltony

Not all steps about the toposlids were forward. Some were backwards, in my opinion. Hopefully this will be improved in future updates. 

I did a video about this new topic. At the end of the video I assign a grade to each feature of toposolid, with my comments. 

This is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/vNNszAef3mE?si=JlOsMu9vJco98Asa

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
In this video, I cover the following topics: Visibility graphics for Toposurface and Toposolid. How to create toposolid by importing CAD, by .csv file, by sketching boundary and adding points. How to modify toposolid. How to use graded region. How to add volume. How to cut volume. How to ...
Message 7 of 7
ellison
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfred, I appreciated the thoroughness of your video, and agree with your summary points.  One of your requests, which has been echoed by many others, is for subdivisions with negative thickness - into the toposolid.  I want to share that one can achieve what appears to be a negative subdivision by simply creating a subdivision of greater thickness for "everything else", shown in green in this screen capture.  The toposolid only represents the dirt.  Although it'd be great to have a "negative" subdivision, I'm willing to live with the existing system if it means improvements elsewhere - particularly in the editing mode as you also noted.

2024 Toposolid with paving and curb.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators