Did you mean: 

need app to process blocks

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
385 Views, 2 Replies

need app to process blocks

I need to update an entire AutoCAD library with 1000's of blocks and I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that could do the following:

1. Open all the DWG's in a directory. One at a time.
  2. Check the linework inside to see if any of the linestyles have been overridden.
  3. Create a new layer that uses the linework's current layer but with the linestyle name appended to it. IE. Equipment-Dashed or Equipment-Hidden.
  4. Move the linework to that new layer.
  5. Save back to HD.

Sounds simple but I haven't found anything on the App Exchange that can do it. I have experience creating apps for Revit but haven't done anything for AutoCAD.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ActivistInvestor
in reply to: Anonymous

I doubt you'll find an app that can do specifically what you need.  Your best bet would be to look for an app like ScriptPro that automates the opening and closing of files (e.g. 'batch processing'), and then you would need to write the part that performs the operation on each file.

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to update an entire AutoCAD library with 1000's of blocks and I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that could do the following:

1. Open all the DWG's in a directory. One at a time.
  2. Check the linework inside to see if any of the linestyles have been overridden.
  3. Create a new layer that uses the linework's current layer but with the linestyle name appended to it. IE. Equipment-Dashed or Equipment-Hidden.
  4. Move the linework to that new layer.
  5. Save back to HD.

Sounds simple but I haven't found anything on the App Exchange that can do it. I have experience creating apps for Revit but haven't done anything for AutoCAD.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: ActivistInvestor

Drag. Oh well, I went through a bunch of Google searches and managed to create a quick app that does what I want. I'm sharing it on Github at the following address:

https://github.com/kfpopeye/MyAutoCadApp

If anyone want to help develop it into something more useful, they are welcome to contribute.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta